• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AI500 1 tube overglow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well this one, sitting directly under the tube, seems pretty burned, so much that I cant read the original value.

stopper.jpg

The pins read clockwise from underneath so if it was pins 6 & 4 that would be the screen grid supply resistor. Pin 6 has no connection in the valve so we used it as a tag to connect components to.
It is a 100R 2Watt resistor. That is definitely not a cause for red plating in a good valve! Check the control grid voltage, pin5, it should be around zero volts.

I dont know how you would count that otherwise than clockwise from after fitting slit of socket/tube. I am just reading the numbers pregnated on the pictured downside of the socket. As you can see on picture they are numbered 3 and 5, while 4 is the middel (bottom) one not connected with resistance. So you mean its a 100 ohms and not 1 k.ohms resistans?

It blows the 2,5A main fuse quite fast with that tube 4 inserted, so I have to measure fastly.

Please, what does FIR processing mean ?

Yeah the resistor burn is a consequens, when the tube is burned off. I cant really mesure voltages fast enough with tube inserted, cause it happens so fast. Just fired to more tubes and 2 resistors. So now I have to locate the coupling capasitor. What leg is it connected to?

Looks like leg and 1 and 8 (the joint ones) have to much voltage compared to the other chanel tube.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, it is pin 3 and 5, it's easy to see since they are numbered underneath....

I have not followed the discussion to know what pins are in dispute.

However the molded numbers are sometimes confusing. Start from the fitting slot/tab. It is between pins 8 and 1. The molded "1" is near socket 1 but looks closer to socket 2. They should mold the numbers very close to the sockets. They didn't.

Attachments

• leiflende-1.gif
    leiflende-1.gif
    143 KB · Views: 91
To finish the tread: It was, as I suspected from the start, the 100uF capacitor at the picture/tubes that was not funtioning and caused the resistance, tubes and fuse to burn off. After replacing one capacitor 100uF/100V at each channel and the burned out restanses and the 2 Tubes at both channels, it's playing nicely again. Thanks to everybody, and especially Jon for the help. As I explained I am a high (Kilo-)Voltage electrician and not an electronic and tube amp qualified. Am Happy!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.