• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PA designs to study which use DC CF for output stage grid drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
811A AMP 100 WATTS

811A/572B 100WATT AMP.

Attachments

• 811A AMP original a.jpg
    811A AMP original a.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 256
I’m looking into building something on the large side, probably with 6 6550’s, probably requiring CF drive because of the relatively heavy 15k total load to drive 3 g1’s even if capacitively coupled. Going to direct drive would probably be better, requiring individual triodes so all outputs can be individually bias trimmed. Most suitable devices are dual triodes - sort of a dilemma for driving an odd number of outputs per side. How critical is the matching between driver devices? Trying to figure out the best option - parallel both halves of a dual and use six, use half of one to drive each, with one unit being operated out of phase, or use four with half of one unit being unused?. Really depends on how critical the match is. If I went with a four dual triode option, would the dummy unit need to be DC biased to keep them all the same thermally? 2 x 10mA wouldn’t break the budget with 800 VA of power supply on tap, and another 100VA trafo for the negative supply and there is more than enough heater current to spare.

I suppose the other option is just use mosfets out of the same rail and be done with it, but I wanted to look at an all tube option before writing it off as a bad idea. Power supply and screen regulators would be mosfet anyway, because of the ease of adding current limiting.

Most suitable devices are dual triodes - sort of a dilemma for driving an odd number of outputs per side. How critical is the matching between driver devices? Trying to figure out the best option - parallel both halves of a dual and use six, use half of one to drive each, with one unit being operated out of phase, or use four with half of one unit being unused?
Well how about the 6AC10 :)
Mona

Two minor problems - first its a little woosy. It would take two Or three sections to get the current high enough to be useful. 5 mA would be the minimum bias I’d want, and 10 would be better. Second, where the hell do you get 12 pin sockets these days?

Is it at least on the dollar list?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.