Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Need 3-5W tube amp
Need 3-5W tube amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2019, 03:22 AM   #1
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need 3-5W tube amp

I need 3-5W tube amp, something similar to this: Amazon.com: Gemtune APPJ PA1501A mini tube amplifier with 6AD10 tube (black): Electronics Is there any DIY project or kit available?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th January 2019, 06:42 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Need 3-5W tube amp
rpi,

Happy New Year!

For a "project" you can take a look at the Tubelab SSE:

Tubelab SSE | Tubelab

A good beginners project, but not a "kit". You will need to source the parts (transformers, tubes, components) by yourself. However, plenty of information on the Tubelab website, and the forum members (Tubelab has a sub-forum on diyA) are generally pretty helpful too.

However, the amp will not be as compact or low cost as the one that you linked.

Another DIY project that I can recall that was both compact and easy to do, is the Parks Audio Budgie SE; but as far as I know, Shannon has discontinued the PCB.

A word of caution - with tube amplifiers you will be dealing with high voltages (which are lethal)
Old 5th January 2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Lots of complete kits on eBay from China. Chassis, transformers, tubes everything.
Search for 6P3P amplifier kit, or EL34 amplifier kit.
Most have a thread on here to help. Boyuu A9 or A10 for example.

In the States there must be a good choice too?

Heed the high voltage warning if you have little or no experience of tube/valve amplifiers.

If you are comfortable with tube circuits it might be an idea to look at old Magnavox console amplifiers and 'do one up'. 8802 and 9302 are popular.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:55 AM   #4
pcan is online now pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Need 3-5W tube amp
If you want a tiny and inexpensive amplifier such as the 6by6 inches APPJ you referenced, a switched mode high voltage power supply is needed to avoid the power transformer. To my knowledge, there is no commercial kit available yet with this feature; there is another APPJ board with a FU32 tube and a SMPS but it is almost twice the size.

The smallest and cheapest full tube amplifier kit from China I've found has 6F3 tubes with a 7by8 inches chassis. If drilling a few holes in an alluminium chassis is not a issue for you, I suggest to build it with locally sourced parts at about the same price (and you may use better transformers). It is very simple, it is similar to the mini amplifier published on the january 1963 issue of electronics illustrated at page 82, check the american radio history website to download the issue.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #5
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

You have the bottlehead Stereomour II kit with an 2A3 tube in SET config giving 3.5W output. I never used it, but it's highly rated i hear. But it's not cheap at all:

Stereomour II Stereo Single Ended Integrated 2A3 Amp | Bottlehead
Old 5th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

5 W. out of the power pentode section of the 6AD10 compactron is about right. However, I dislike pentode voltage amplifier into pentode "final". I fear bludgeoning the setup with NFB will be needed to deal with highly irritating IM distortion.

Let's see if we can come up with a price competitive setup using a triode voltage amplifier and power pentode. The most expensive parts in a tube amp are the magnetics. Edcor's GXSE15-5K O/P "iron" costs $43.37 and 2 (1/channel) are needed. "Full wave" voltage doubling (Schematic provided) a $15.81 Triad N-68X isolation trafo takes care of B+. A $13.92 Triad VPS24-1000 takes care of heater power. That totals less than $125.

With a roughly $200 budget, I think we can better that Chinese amp's performance. We can't match the fancy case work, but my preference is sound over looks. Corners have to be cut somewhere at this price point.

Sockets set up for the Russian 6Π15Π-EB (6p15p-ev) also accept EL84s. Approx. $20 buys 4 tubes off ebone.

I'm thinking 12AX7 section voltage amplifier and full pentode mode "final". A nice added touch would be 0A2 regulated g2 B+. I don't like asking the 'X7 triode to drive the CMiller of UL mode O/P tube.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Full Wave Doubler.gif (5.7 KB, 1560 views)

Last edited by Eli Duttman; 5th January 2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 5th January 2019, 09:43 AM   #7
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 Tubelab simple se...when hot rodded can overdeliver your requirement.

It is an excellent amp
Old 5th January 2019, 10:12 AM   #8
stenak is offline stenak  Norway
diyAudio Member

Why do not build a amp campamp from Nelson Pass, not tubed, but a great amp. Build a super simple single stage preamp and you got a great combination.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:13 PM   #9
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
diyAudio Member

Uh, I assume if that's what he wanted he would have asked there? He does specifically state "tube" in his post...

I can definitely recommend the TubeLab SSE, very nice and versatile design. I'm working on a PCB design for a small SE amp as well, using EL84 and similar tubes. 3-5 watts would make a UL or pentode connected EL84 or EL86 a good option.
Old 5th January 2019, 05:47 PM   #10
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for different options! I should probably give more info to clarify the requirements.I 'm thinking about new model of the Peppy player:
Home * project-owner/PeppyPlayers.doc Wiki * GitHub

This time I'd like to make steampunk model. Here is the preliminary sketch:

Click the image to open in full size.

That colorful stuff will be VU Meter based on Nixie tubes IN-9:
Serial VU Meter * project-owner/PeppyMeter.doc Wiki * GitHub

I thought that adding a tube amp would make the player look more steampunk
Hence the requirements - low wattage as this is boombox and preferably small size as the space is limited.

The tubes could be placed on top of the player. And another crazy idea was to lift the board with tubes by means of stepper motor. So that the tubes would magically appear on top after the player startup

Probably the easiest approach would be to buy the amp which I referenced, disassemble, rewire and mount in the case/enclosure. It's just difficult to break the amp which costs almost $200 Though that's probably the easiest way.

Need 3-5W tube ampHide this!Advertise here!