• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What are the top 3 MM Phono Preamps Circuits to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The tweaked RCA setup is reasonably easy to build, is not especially expensive, and sounds very good. It also has the ability to drive downstream loads, including recording devices.

There are all sorts of good designs available. All require meticulous attention to the grounding scheme, lest hum rear its very ugly head.

Attachments

• Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,661
My best of these, solar mm phono amp, mini-me, mini-me second, phonodude, project tube box se, yaqin ms-12b, pacific phono pre is the sound part of the sound and comfort amp. It has great power supply, pcb design, easy to get parts. And super sound with no noise or humm. My vote for 1 and 3.
For 2 i can recomment the solar mm phono pre.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    806.6 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 1,443
  • IMG_1748.PNG
    IMG_1748.PNG
    539.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_1161.PNG
    IMG_1161.PNG
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
TubeValve Itch by Salas great sound & as always great support from Salas, not easy & not cheap but worth every penny & effort to make it.

Valve Itch phono

Mine used E283CC in place of 6N2PEV & 7N7 in place of 6SN7. If you want all Russian could be used 6H8C in place of 6SN7 and in place of 6N2PEV can be used 12AX7 if I remeber well.

Solid state Simplistic NJFET RIAA two version folded and unfolded, the folded version with GB both well documented & supported by Salas.

Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Attachments

• valveitchpsusm.jpg
    valveitchpsusm.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 527
  • Valve Itch Rev 1.2.png
    Valve Itch Rev 1.2.png
    34 KB · Views: 509
  • NJFET RIAA Folded Simplisitic Schematic MainCRKT.png
    NJFET RIAA Folded Simplisitic Schematic MainCRKT.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 518
  • FoldedSimplisticDoc.pdf
    309.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Folded_Simplistic_PCB_Guide.pdf
    722.8 KB · Views: 88
My best of these, solar mm phono amp, mini-me, mini-me second, phonodude, project tube box se, yaqin ms-12b, pacific phono pre is the sound part of the sound and comfort amp. It has great power supply, pcb design, easy to get parts. And super sound with no noise or humm. My vote for 1 and 3.
For 2 i can recomment the solar mm phono pre.

Koifarm, do you have any more info on the opamp+tube schematic you posted? I've been thinking about doing something similar for fun (opamp RIAA + tube voltage gain).

Great thread, thanks! I'm thinking about doing a small board containing the opamp and RIAA and running it from the heater supply. Like a small phono module that could work with a variety of tubes for extra voltage gain. Glad to see you've done something like this and enjoyed the result.

The tweaked RCA setup is reasonably easy to build, is not especially expensive, and sounds very good. It also has the ability to drive downstream loads, including recording devices.

There are all sorts of good designs available. All require meticulous attention to the grounding scheme, lest hum rear its very ugly head.

I'd like to try this with the 6Н17Б (6N17B) or 6Н21Б (6N21B) subminiature Russian triodes, would be a lovely and compact build. Need to pick up another turntable to have an excuse to build one :)

In current rotation (hat tip Stereophile) I am using the stock Adcom GFP565 circuit downstairs --easy to replicate -- and a Liberty Audio phono pre which is an Erno Borbely design upstairs in the library/listening room.

Not that I want to say that it doesn't matter, but the recording matters much more than the phono preamp, cartridge and everything else between the ears. (OK, within limits!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.