Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Tubes In Oil
Tubes In Oil
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2018, 08:32 PM   #1
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tubes In Oil

Electronics magazine 1947-1948.

Multi-color rotogravure printing. Once known for printing the Sunday color comics, but also widely used for fine work on a variety of materials; this one prints on metal foil. You have to dynamically jiggle the gearing to make all the colors align even as the base web slips shrinks and snakes.

AND: the inks used for rotogravure must dry quickly (between one roller and the next), so are usually highly volatile. Explosive. Comics-printing presses used to blow-up a lot. Strict regulations came into effect.

So this guy figured, if all the tubes were submerged in oil, that would meet the UL requirements. Oil-fill is routine in large transformers, also some underwater motors. It apparently works for tubes.

(Yes, I know the old ham trick of mounting a metal 6L6 in a can of oil so the ratings may be exceeded at least short-term. But I never saw a whole tube system in oil.)

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...cs-1947-11.pdf
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...cs-1948-03.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png TubesInOil.png (889.9 KB, 913 views)

Last edited by PRR; 24th December 2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 24th December 2018, 09:52 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tubes In Oil
11 miles of print per hour in colour. That's pretty impressive for the time.

Roll forward 60 years and the rate of tree eating is now scary. The world’s biggest and fastest newspaper press apparantly the big mitsubishi presses can kick out 25 full colour newspapers a second.
Old 24th December 2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, the K&E drafting tools add caught my eye. That's what I was taught, long ago. I know nada about CAD/CAM.

BTW, intaglio printing is still used for the production of currency (paper money).
Old 24th December 2018, 10:21 PM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> the K&E drafting tools ad caught my eye.

Yes; those CAD guys forget we drew plans for mighty fleets, fast tanks, and skyscrapers with batteryless tools that fit in a coat pocket.

More nostalgia:
ELECTRONICS: Electronics Engineering magazine beginning in 1930
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K&E-1947.jpg (133.4 KB, 889 views)
Old 25th December 2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Tubes In Oil
Before drafting by ink we had to learn to draft by pencils. They had to be clean, and lines had to be of different, appropriate thickness!

I hated that. We had 2 separate disciplines, "Engineering Graphics" and "Drafting Geometry".
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 25th December 2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Chris Hornbeck is offline Chris Hornbeck  United States
diyAudio Member

Old timey Hams would stick 6L6's or 1625's transmitter finals upside down in a bucket of used motor oil.
Maybe so you couldn't see the plate color.

Ho, ho, yo,
Chris
"A marveilous newtrality have these things mathematicall and also a strange participation between things supernaturall, immortall, intellectuall, simple and indivisible, and things naturall, mortall, sensible, componded and divisible." - John Dee
Old 25th December 2018, 12:31 PM   #7
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Rotring was cool. They also had alcohol-based ink refills that were perfect for one-off diy pcbs when used together with letraset-based pads and ic dip patterns.
Old 25th December 2018, 12:38 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tubes In Oil
That tube in oil rig has to make for some messy maintenance.
Old 25th December 2018, 12:58 PM   #9
ethermion is offline ethermion  Antarctica
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
11 miles of print per hour in colour. That's pretty impressive for the time.

Roll forward 60 years and the rate of tree eating is now scary. The world’s biggest and fastest newspaper press apparantly the big mitsubishi presses can kick out 25 full colour newspapers a second.
The Washington post had two of them near me. Now, they are offline. Dunno if they got sold. Tree eaters indeed, but I am not sure I know anyone who gets a printed paper anymore.

Tubes in oil makes me think pcb.
Old 25th December 2018, 02:54 PM   #10
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Before drafting by ink we had to learn to draft by pencils. They had to be clean, and lines had to be of different, appropriate thickness!

I hated that. We had 2 separate disciplines, "Engineering Graphics" and "Drafting Geometry".
Quote:
Rotring was cool.
We too.
I was real happy when we reached the ink and pen level, later improved by Rotring pens , all of my pencil drawn plans were objected as being "grey", because of graphite smears.

Tubes In OilHide this!Advertise here!