• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bel Canto Seti 40 SE 845

On the second link it is also claudio who says that he saw an output transformer slam before his eyes on the work table and without prior or sign of anything, then he explains a little how he modified it .
Hi, I wonder if you have some pictures of the original bel-canto SET transformers? I wonder what the output transformers looked like and the size of it. Any idea what is the primary impedance of the transformer?

I found a review of the SET-40 with some technical measurements,

Attachments

• Bel_Canto_Design_Set_40_Single-Ended_Tube_Amp_review.pdf
    674.9 KB · Views: 125
i fund defects on these transformers, some have no sheet gap, so wen pushed become magnetised nothing else
so open it put a shim gap reassemble and for demagnetise thems the best its to send 6V3 from one power transformer (mains 50/60Hz)
by +- 1ohm 10W resistor to reduce current on bel canto secondary 8ohms , take a drink , its done
transformer back alive
IMG_20220211_161050.jpg

yes the last time i've got one bel canto output transformer loose power and start hyger primary current just wen i was checking the amp, on oscilloscope i see the transformer to said BYE BYE !!!
so i repace bothand sell the amplifier
but i start co check waths goin on ,so i unscrew both transformers , the one bad working was without shim gap
afther put a gap was working but poorly, so i demagnetise , firs by 240VAC on primary and secondary loaded, still low inductance,
so i do it in the other way, 6V3 on secondary by 1 ohm resistor, at first current was hight but rapidly decreased
the end, transformer works perfectly
you can call me if you want
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq6ocbMrS7Dgmi_ByPyESNS2Vtlr?e=IdPHSV

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
yes the last time i've got one bel canto output transformer loose power and start hyger primary current just wen i was checking the amp, on oscilloscope i see the transformer to said BYE BYE !!!
so i repace bothand sell the amplifier
but i start co check waths goin on ,so i unscrew both transformers , the one bad working was without shim gap
afther put a gap was working but poorly, so i demagnetise , firs by 240VAC on primary and secondary loaded, still low inductance,
so i do it in the other way, 6V3 on secondary by 1 ohm resistor, at first current was hight but rapidly decreased
the end, transformer works perfectly
you can call me if you want
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq6ocbMrS7Dgmi_ByPyESNS2Vtlr?e=IdPHSV
Thanks, that's interesting. So it's a case of manufacturing quality. Do you know what is the primary impedance of the output transformers? 10k?

I upgraded my 845 SE amp recently with the Monolith SA-5 output transformer. I am amazed with its performance that the high frequency end to 80kHz -3dB. The sound is real wonderful with extended high and low. Super dynamic, crystal clear and powerful bass.

Highly recommended.
Happy New Year,
Johnny

I upgraded my 845 SE amp recently with the Monolith SA-5 output transformer. I am amazed with its performance that the high frequency end to 80kHz -3dB. The sound is real wonderful with extended high and low. Super dynamic, crystal clear and powerful bass.

Highly recommended.
Happy New Year,
Johnny
I'm not yet ready to pay €730 x2 for a pair of transformers :oops:

Thanks everyone , that’s very helpful. Just looked up the monoliths and the data sheets on their website. Impressive performance.
The reason for all these questions is because I recently came into possession a bel-canto seti-40 that doesn’t have the transformers. I am thinking of rebuilding it using the chassis and some of the power supply circuitry and control circuit. Plan is to see if the Gomes “srpp” will work better with tubes other than the 12AX7.