Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

New amp project has some hum
New amp project has some hum
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2018, 04:16 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

5Hz could be motorboating. Try a smaller value for the 0.22uF coupling capacitor.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:21 AM   #12
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

You have lots of magnetics in a small space. The Lundahls are less sensitive to fields than most, but you also have some other chokes.

This could cause hum because of power transformer, and because of filter choke getting into the other magnetics.

It could also cause magnetic coupling of the tube stages, and maybe even oscillation, like the 5 Hz.
If you look at B+ you may also be seeing line bounce, with the power line voltage jumping as loads in your house and neighbors turn on and off.

You have lots to look for.
Old 7th December 2018, 02:53 AM   #13
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

1/ Keep heater wires away from audio.
2/ Don't mount transformers next to valves.
3/ Keep input circuit as short as possible.
4/ Decouple each valve stage separately.
5/ Don't run HVAC near audio signals.
6/ Use star grounding where possible.
7/ Elevate heater centre tap to 45 VDC.
8/ Use grid stoppers close to grids..
Some of problems I found causing noise in my early designs.
Definitely not exhaustive.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 7th December 2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 7th December 2018, 06:37 AM   #14
Tjj226 is offline Tjj226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6A3sUMMER View Post
You have lots of magnetics in a small space. The Lundahls are less sensitive to fields than most, but you also have some other chokes.

This could cause hum because of power transformer, and because of filter choke getting into the other magnetics.

It could also cause magnetic coupling of the tube stages, and maybe even oscillation, like the 5 Hz.
If you look at B+ you may also be seeing line bounce, with the power line voltage jumping as loads in your house and neighbors turn on and off.

You have lots to look for.

Well what gets me is that I have a nice perfect 300mv 60hz sine wave on the plates of the 45s on both channels.

No modulation that I can see, and it is exactly 300mv on the dot. All of the AC wires are shielded to the hilt and are grounded at only one end of the shield. The AC wires are going right past the chokes for the 45, but if I move the wires away, the hum doesn't change.

If it were something like DHT hum or imbalance, I would expect to see slight variances between each channel. But nope. Same nice clean 60hz sine wave on both channels.

Im semi suspicious of the way I have the filament transformers mounted. I have one transformer on top of the other with the steel plate in between them. I tried moving them a while back and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I will move them again and see if I don't discover something.

I have a feeling that when I figure out that issue, a lot of the other issues (5hz noise) will solve themselves.
Old 7th December 2018, 04:50 PM   #15
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could try running the 45 filaments from a bridge (no cap) and see if it changes to 120Hz...

New amp project has some humHide this!Advertise here!