• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ukranian Amp Kit

Luckily here in nz our postal system has a thing they call Youshop ,an agent in US and in UK,who receive open repack and post to nz.Fabulous for getting stuff from the States avoiding ridiculous shipping costs often quoted.Will wait till after christmas madness is over and order some output transformers and get the power transformer/s as a separate order,if parcels under $400 nz they dont attract the duty and GST when passing thru customs.Almost tempted to wind my own but then it will take so long for me to get around to adapting my lathe, sourcing materials,etc be cheaper just to buy em.
Used to scrounge old TV transformers for the laminations for Ecofan amps ,Murray said they were extra high quality,but that source has sort of dried up with modern tv's

Llewelyn,

I believe your house current in NZ is 50 Hz./"240" V. You can buy everything you need, except the B- transformer, from Mouser. At a minimum, Mouser will provide pricing in NZD.

A Triad N-77U provides the overwhelming bulk of power for the B+ supply. The dual secondaries of a Triad VPS24-1800 provide "12" V. heater power and B+ boost. Wire pairs of EL84 heaters in series, to exploit that "12" V. The 2nd "12" V. secondary is phased up and wired in series with the secondary of the N-77U. "Full wave" voltage doubling that composite yields a suitable B+ rail. A Triad C-24X filter choke "sits" between the doubler stack and the B+ reservoir capacitor.

Your apparent skill at trafo winding could be exploited to "model" the Allied 6K27VF, with a "240" V. primary. Unfortunately, the 6K27VF is suited only to North America (60 Hz./"120" V.).

For a complete "off the shelf" solution, use AnTek's AN-0232 to feed the B- supply, with a halved dropping resistor. Use 1 of the secondaries of a Triad VPL24-2000 to power all tube heaters and the 2nd secondary for B+ boost. Any interested North American builders can use the AN-0232/VPL24-2000 combo too.

Been busy as but got choke and transformers ordered thru mouser and antek.Needed more urgently a more powerful amp to power current speaker project and be everyday amp for me tannoys so just bought an old dynco solid state which hopefully soon be wending its way across the pacific .Will start going thru the kit of components seeing whats needed and find some metal and suitable timber for the chassis till the bits ordered arrive,thanks again Eli for your help and encouragement ,looking forward to getting into it. cheers Llewelyn

Been shopping around and seems Edcor transformers gonna be the cheapest option ,cost for shipping is pricey but will use agent to lower it if only a little.James trannies way more unfortunately,. one for 189nz dollars vs two edcors for 200nz dollars .Ordering will have to wait for a couple of weeks so plenty reading time. Mouser bits arrived still waiting for shipping info from Antek.

Found these transformers anyone come across these Iwistao trannies ?, Aliexpress cheaper source by a couple of dollars .1/2 the price i can get edcors.Worth a punt? IWISTAO Tube Amplifier Output Transformer 40W Pull-Push Z11 Silicon – IWISTAO HIFI MINIMART

Hi thanks for your recomendation only stockist here out of stock and cost plus freight to nz makes the hammonds quite a bit more than the edcors.will see if i can track some down a bit closer to here. cheers L

There is a guy who winds transformers in Napier (I think).

Hi sad face that would be great always better to support local industry when poss.cheers Llewelyn

Finally ordered Edcor trannies and they have been built and waiting at freight forwarders in Oregon for sea freight to NZ. Total cost inc post to freight forwarders 168 us dollars and a further 54 to freight to NZ inc good and services tax.so all up us$222 delivered. Just the 3 month wait the trials living in remote part of the planet but will give me time to organise last little bits and pieces and start the chassis

Finally the Edcor trannies have arrived 6 months after ordering ,unfortunately little too late .I have final operation in a week or so to repair body mangled by a spaced out meth-head who drove wrong side of the road over me and me old motorbicycle so will be unable to do anything for 3 odd months. Surface freight turned out only took 10 weeks and was cheap in comparision to normal postal delivery costs around 80 nzdollars inc gst ,local sales tax,on total.So about US$110 each landed at my door
Scored a lump of 3/16 silicon bronze sheet for mounting everything on and hopefully will dig out some wood, machine it up for the casework and find me fasteners,taps and dies to facilitate holding everything together

Attachments

• 20211005_104323-001.jpg
    20211005_104323-001.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 275
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I’ve been reading along on your thread and wanted to congratulate you with the arrival of your OTs. So sorry to hear about your bike accident. Best wishes from this side of the Pacific for a speady recovery. Hope the rest of your amplifier build will be pleasant and successful.

Taking advantage of the fine day before rain hits managed to dig out some shorts of demo Kauri and new timber ,Purpleheart and Rewarewa ,denail and rip off the paint on the really rough stuff, ready to start machining it up for the chassis 's of 2 amps and one preamp but the El Cheapo will be the main one to get started on.
Also hauled out the weighty 13" x 14.5" bronze sheet but looks like a cat had pissed on it etched and oxided ,bit of a wash and rub with scotchbrite almost good enough to start marking it out for drilling

Attachments

• brnz.jpg
    brnz.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 1-wood1.jpg
    1-wood1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 115
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 112