• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another Newbie Who Bought a Cheap Chinese Tube Amp Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the transformer info/hints.
I'll have to check/modify some of my builds, I guess.
When I have some time, I'll dive into my parts shelf and check out some of the salvaged iron I have; I'm curious to see if any of the PTs have the tubes inside the laminations.

It's funny- the amp that I had the most problems with mechanical hum and PT heating was using stand-up transformers with the usual flange attachment.

Here is a couple of examples: Edcor and Hafler.
You can see, Hafler uses a shorted turn around the transformer, to short the field that goes around, to decrease interference with wires in the amp.

Attachments

• edcor.jpg
    edcor.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 364
  • hafler.jpg
    hafler.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Found this among many other insights: "Should the transformer be of 'conventional' construction (not a toroidal), then the transformer body - the steel core - must be connected to chassis directly. Do not use any loop breaker circuit to isolate the transformer core, as it is unnecessary and dangerous to do so."

Bolts have to be insulated. No need to insulate nuts at the opposite side. Additional nuts create an air gap between transformer and the chassis, for better cooling. You can insulate 3 of 4 bolts; one would ground the lid.

I've seen the copper loop OUTSIDE of the tranny many times in both SS and VT. It does a lot to stop stay magnetic fields of 60hz hum looking for an antenna.

I had forgotten about all of the fiber washers I had as a kid from disassembling stuff. Always thought they were for hum and buzz. All of the IE trannies I've worked with before were either ugly flange mounted that I used as is or PC mounted with or without the wrap around sheet metal clamp. I never stopped to ponder it.

With such cheap chinese kits, you can't take anything for granted. They truly have to be treated as a (hopefully) complete BOM and you supply all of the skill AND knowledge.

One thing I'm going to keep in mind after this discussion:
It doesn't matter how the transformer mounts to the chassis - flange mounting is no 'protection' from this 'shorted turn' issue. Any transformer that has bell ends bolted together is subject to this problem - it's the bells and the bolts that comprise the 'shorted turn', as I understand it. Is the assumption that the laminations are non-conductive, so that insulating the bolts will keep the end bells 'disconnected' from each other?

I also don't see how the 'shield' works into the 'shorted turn' idea.

One thing I'm going to keep in mind after this discussion:
It doesn't matter how the transformer mounts to the chassis - flange mounting is no 'protection' from this 'shorted turn' issue. Any transformer that has bell ends bolted together is subject to this problem - it's the bells and the bolts that comprise the 'shorted turn', as I understand it. Is the assumption that the laminations are non-conductive, so that insulating the bolts will keep the end bells 'disconnected' from each other?
Laminations can have some contacts, but not form a significant shorted turn.

I also don't see how the 'shield' works into the 'shorted turn' idea.
A shield adds loss, but insignificant, since it is outside of the magnetic path. However, the shield between layers must not be shorted!

I still don't understand....not very smart today, I guess.

The shield is 'insignificant' because it is 'outside' the magnetic field (it isn't, really, is it- doesn't the field extend past the laminations? Bring your electric guitar close to the transformer and you will know...) but a bolt which is a couple of mm inside the edge of the laminations is a major problem?

Or is it insignificant because the shield is usually copper (not 'magnetic') and the bells and bolts are steel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.