• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D150 monster amp and funny tooobz

This is what I expect when I finally wrap up recapping my ARC D-150:
http://www.audioresearch.com/ContentsFiles/ARC.D150web.pdf

Please feel free to use this thread for contributing both, anything funny and anything D-150 amp related. I will also post pics about my refurb of the unit. Thanks.

Attachments

• tube_effect.gif
    tube_effect.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,468
Last edited:
D150 refurb

I thought the thread was going to invite more funny contributions but instead there is interest in D-150. That is Ok. I already meant to show my effort to refurbish it so might as well put it here.

Long story short, in 2017 I got an amazing deal. A friend acquired a D150 in an auction. It came from the estate of a local audiophile. And I traded an Oscope I did not need for this baby.

The unit came in an unbelievable condition. Not a scratch. One could tell it was not used for a long time since the dust was all from the top and not from the bottom where it draws air.

Here is what I saw on the first opening. More to come.

Attachments

• D150_181958_r.jpg
    D150_181958_r.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 2,290
  • D150_201621_3_r.jpg
    D150_201621_3_r.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 2,351
  • D150_201250_r.jpg
    D150_201250_r.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 2,310
...reducing
the value of the input hf filter capacitor to around 39pF, will make a big
difference as well.

Thanks! I will take baby steps with the mods though. first goal is stock version with only changed electrolytic caps, then we can finesse it from there on ;)

mine will only be used to drive a top section (starting from lower mid) of a bi-amped speaker. So bass performance is not a concern right now. As for hf I imagine the mod effect may depend on the speaker's top end performance? I guess the transformers here are the ones that set the tone for spectral distribution.

that IS a different subject. I actually am a Pass guy and this tube amp wrecked my plans for my next system. I already built two BA-3b class A mono blocks for it, but the curiosity got better of me and I decided to try tubes in D150 for a while. So the refurb is under way; almost done actually (just got busy with other things).

On the subject of creating a distortion pattern that brings some "warmth" mainly to vocal reproduction you can check this:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/327746-h2.html#post5553294

Last edited:
Koja, touch base with Jim McShane, as you do your refurb. He's both very knowledgeable and honest. If you need new O/P tubes, there is a bit of a conundrum. Really good 6550s are not currently being manufactured. IMO, the "best" replacement you can currently obtain is the "reissue" Gold Lion KT88. If, as is ARC's pattern, 1 or more big tubes are being used as screen grid regulators, a less costly variant (such as the EH KT88) can be used in that/those position(s).

Thanks for the contact. All info is welcome as I am a newbie to tubes. I am still hoping that all tubes will be functional. Naturally I had to remove them all so that I could take the amp apart. I see that all O/S tubes have been numbered presumably when they were paired by measurements. I wrote down all positions so they go back to the same sockets.

This amp has been built like a tank, but boy they sure did not have serviceability in mind when they did the tight layout. Plus with 134lbs weight this thing is a 2 man job to flip around, especially when it comes to pieces and can no longer hold together. I had a friend help me do all the flips to get to the screws in a manageable order. I am lucky he is an electronics professional and had real sense to figure this one out. We left transformers alone which made flipping the boards connected just with wire harnesses a challenge.

Here is what I was trying first to get to, the big electrolytic caps on the back board and under the unit.

Attachments

• D150_open_230006_r.jpg
    D150_open_230006_r.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 792
I know about "the legend" part, less than 200 made. But like I said, D150 really wrecked my plans since in this audio system I have all balanced signal gear including these class A mono blocks:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201281-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced-57.html#post4794952

So it is just a curiosity on my part that I will try it for a while. I think in a couple of years someone will luck out and get an amp which will be made to run for another 40 years ;).

As a matter of fact, people were telling me "Do not mess with it. there are vintage nuts out there who will pay more for it in its original condition etc.". But I let that boat sail since I am too much into amps to settle for anything less than the best performance possible if I am going to try it.

All power supply caps are being changed with these:

Attachments

• Vishay_cap_forD150refurb.JPG
    Vishay_cap_forD150refurb.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 747
Joined 2011
D150 really wrecked my plans since in this audio system
I have all balanced signal gear

You can easily convert the D150 to full balanced operation,
and it will sound much better that way.

You can remove the unity gain polarity inversion stage (V1 and V2),
as the inverter is outside of the overall negative feedback loops.
Feed the balanced inputs directly to the 12AX7 input amplifier (V3 and V4) grids,
via the 10k resistors R12 and R15.

The rest of the circuit is balanced, including the output transformer
secondary and feedback loops.

Last edited:
These are the original caps being replaced: the rear board features 8 x 200uF and the PS at the bottom 12 x 600uF.

they are all being replaced with 20 x 820uF. So the back board gets four times as much capacity ;) and the bottom gets more capacity in half the length (thanks to the advances in cap technology since 1975).

Attachments

• D150_RearBoardCleaned_092719_r.jpg
    D150_RearBoardCleaned_092719_r.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 696
  • D150_RearBoardCap_195206_r.jpg
    D150_RearBoardCap_195206_r.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 664
  • D150_PSCaps_230105_r.jpg
    D150_PSCaps_230105_r.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 661
  • D150_PScapsOriginal_183937_r.jpg
    D150_PScapsOriginal_183937_r.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 344
Thanks Rayma. I will look into it. If you guys continue supporting me like this I may just end up making a servo to get read of the variac and the adjustments and keep the damn thing :D (that is IF it makes it by my better half; I will even have to have a new TV stand made just to bring that thing into the room :(). like I said: my friend going to the auction wrecked a perfect plan.