• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D150 monster amp and funny tooobz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scott remarked about the apparent great condition of the tubes in an amp picture before. Only after that did I wipe the dust off of them to have a closer look: well I am no expert but I could not see any sign of use inside the glass. So hardly used if at all :D.

I almost wish they had been used some since I know from a friend of mine who is into ham radio that they prefer to rotate their spare tubes in their amplifiers to degass any oxidation from atmosphere leaking in. Anyways here is a photo of 4 of the tubes:

Attachments

• D150_toobz_1359_r.jpg
    D150_toobz_1359_r.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 601
  • D150_toobz_1362_r.jpg
    D150_toobz_1362_r.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 587
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
give me few days to wrap my head around funny schm , and I'll comment whatever I can

recupperating from stuborn and boring childish flu , so head is not mine , even more than usual

cunning plan is to test da tubes , either in situ or in someone's toob tester

we'll see

videla zaba da se konji potkivaju , pa i ona digla nogu
sta joj je to trebalo .......

prevedi , ako si majstor :rofl:

both the tubes and the sockets are numbered so they will go back as originally installed ;).

as for having the tubes tested: I have to put some thought into it. I do not feel like mailing the glassware around and I am not sure what may be available locally.

@Zen: nema zurbe (no hurry) and you take care of your flu :drink:

@ZenM
I see you had your last post deleted? well I am intrigued anyways. btw I also would not mind a tube guy like for example Zdenko Zivkovic giving me a straight down opinion about the circuit. Maybe when I am in NS I can chase him down the street with the schematic :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can't remember that I posted something , then deleted it ..... , though - who knows several days ago .... submit and cancel were so similar buttons :rofl:

I know that somewhere I wrote something about their construction team using bad weed , but can't remember where :)

frankly , I didn't invest too much time in deciphering it , so putting it here , for hopeful brainstorm ..... why , on earth , they needed these two triode systems , most left , right bellow RCA input symbol , dangling on neg. input LTP side ?

schm taken from on-line ARC Database

Attachments

• ARC_D150_schematic1.jpg
    ARC_D150_schematic1.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 514
  • ARC_D150_schematic2.jpg
    ARC_D150_schematic2.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 501
@rayma
Could you please mark on the page(s) where you thought I should bring +/-/gnd from an XLR input? and cross out what would need to be disconnected. I will (most probably) try the amp with unbalanced inputs first, to make sure it works as originally intended. But later the intent would be to drive it with a balanced source (an Aleph P preamp with a 1kOhm attenuator at its output). Thx a lot.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's the unity gain phase inverter. The entire D150 amplifier circuit is balanced,
but the input is single ended.

yup , messy head , not seeing obvious :rofl:

my mistake , searching for reason ...... instead - they could route NFB to grids instead , slightly sacrificing some Rin

so , tnx to rayma , puzzle solved and recipe given

instead - they could route NFB to grids instead , slightly sacrificing some Rin

All the ARC tube power amplifiers of that era used the same balanced cross-coupled
driver circuit with the phase inverter at the input, as well as similar board layouts
and parts, for the D51, D75, D76, and D150 amplifiers.

Even the Electronic Industries D50 and D100 were very similar, but with a different layout
and Dynaco transformers.

Last edited:
finally getting around to look at the monster again. in parallel with my LX521 speaker work.

first checked PS voltage, going up to 525V before the rectifier. But I overlooked that the original PS board (PWB 108) used a metal standoff to connect negative to chassis, so there was no bias current since I had no wire connection from my bus to chassis.

once that was fixed, turned on power, tubes heating up and a glass crack sound and a flash from the OP tubes and turned it off quickly. My friend who was helping me could not tell from which tube exactly it came and on casual looking all still looked fine. Turned it back on and V19 threw fireworks and blew line fuses (which is both strange and worrisome since the plate and the screen fuses did not :confused:). the glass on that tube actually separated from the base. the rest looked fine.

>> So I could use some expert advice on having the tubes changed. what is the most sensible approach? I was thinking, if two of those big tubes (V12 & V21) are used as rectifiers but are still matched (I need to take them out to see if they have written values on them like the rest), then use those as OP in V15 & V19 and purchase another pair.

I think I saw Sovtek and Tung Sol 6550 online. Neither is regarded as well as the original ones were. Someone here mentioned changing for a different (KT88) tube altogether for OP but I am not sure what such a change would entail as it would stray away from the original. I am still trying to just prove the circuit and then will go on and change it to balanced input.

So next steps: get some tubes, change line fuses, plug only rectifier tubes and check voltage on OP sockets and then plug in all OP tubes. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
There are no rectifier tubes, just the silicon diode module BR1. Two of the large tubes however are (in parallel) screen regulators, V21 and V22.

If V19 failed, be sure to also check the related V19 resistors R47, R49, and R51. Be sure to turn down all 8 bias pots to a low setting before turning the amplifier on. See the D-150 schematic in post #5.

It's also useful to use the 220VAC line voltage setting on the power switch for warming up the amplifier, before switching it to 120VAC.

Thanks Rayma. All good suggestions. Will do as soon as I found replacement tubes. (and you got me: I meant V21/22. sorry for the misnomer).

p.s. I hope those resistors are on the back and accessible else.. arghhh

p.s. I turned all 8 bias trim settings all the way counterclockwise (after the tube blew up) but none was very far from it though so taht was not it. there must have been something wrong with that tube. I suspect they were not used and maybe some atmosphere leaked in.

Last edited:
I got that from Rayma before. The balanced input will be implemented as per the markings here. For filter cap change 390pF to 39pF I just have to find where to mount the small cap since currently it is mounted on the pot which I do not see the purpose in keeping in the signal flow.

Else, I will not be adding any connectors to the housing as the goal is to preserve everything so it can be brought back to the original state (in case I am selling the amp after a while). I will just lift one side of those 10k resistors and solder wires to a pig tail XLR which I will ziptie to the housing, and lift that 301k resistor and that's it.

Right now I have a bigger problem with those resistors which need to be checked not being accessible. I expect they will be right by the tube base and the whole amp has to come apart to get to those. I cannot describe to you how difficult that amp layout is to service anything that is not on the rear panel. :headbash:

Attachments

• D150_balanced_input.JPG
    D150_balanced_input.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.