Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Amp Schmeatic for 100TL
Amp Schmeatic for 100TL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2018, 03:57 PM   #1
nautilussigma is offline nautilussigma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Schmeatic for 100TL

Hello,

i am interesset in an amp with the 100TL tube.
I can't finde any schematic about that. Can anybody help me?

Greedings from Germany
Jürgen
Old 14th November 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

I know this amplifier with Eimac tube but is TH version

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F...c2ZDBTeDg/view

Hope can inspire You at some point Greetings
Old 14th November 2018, 04:27 PM   #3
kylej1050 is offline kylej1050  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a pair of VT-127A tubes that are similar operating but a completely different bottle and I one day plan to make into a SET amp with them but that's years away. It is exceedingly rare to find actual amps made with these guys since they are so high voltage the cost becomes a prohibitor even if the tubes themselves aren't all that expensive.

What kind of amp are you looking to make with these? The datasheet gives a good layout of what you need for class AB AF output but you're looking at 250-400+W of output power if you follow the data sheet so you'll need HUGE transformers with high voltage ratings and a well-designed driver that can swing 300V grid to grid.

Single ended with these guys is a bit more sane as you'll only get about 20W output on a good day, the driver doesn't have to run much more than 100V, and the B+ supply only needs to supply maybe 300W.

I've got some 25T(and 24G) to get my feet wet with the high-power RF as an SE amp bit before working with the 100TL.

That schematic posed by Soundhappy should actually be close enough to work. The amplification factor of the TH is about double the TL but it'll definitely drive fine with the tube swapped.

Last edited by kylej1050; 14th November 2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 14th November 2018, 04:53 PM   #4
tubestrek is offline tubestrek  Austria
diyAudio Member

A nice and good recourse is http://www6.plala.or.jp/Michi/100TH%20SE%20amp.html
All of his amps are interesting. These RF-Tubes needs general driving into positive grid voltage, so a very well designed driver is needed. I would prefer solid state to drive these bastards.
Same with the 127a / 227 / 327.
All of these RF tubes are not for beginners.
Old 14th November 2018, 04:57 PM   #5
tubestrek is offline tubestrek  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej1050 View Post
I've got a pair of VT-127A tubes that are similar operating but a completely different bottle and I one day plan to make into a SET amp with them but that's years away. ...
Hi. I also have a lot of those. The reason, why I didn't built already one, is I have no solution how to fix them in the chassis there are no sockets for these lovely looking radar tubes. Do you have any idea?
Old 14th November 2018, 06:10 PM   #6
kylej1050 is offline kylej1050  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of doing two half-circles of metal that attach to both grid and plate lugs with one towards the back and one towards the front and using stand-offs to rigidly mount the tube to the chassis. The 2kV B+ isolator for mounting to and passing through the chassis could look neat as well.

I wish I could say I have a lot of them as they are super cool but I only have the two.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:32 PM   #7
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

No need to run the Hi mu tubes at high voltages; I have built many push pull amps using 100TH,811a, 572b, 805 The 811a with 600 volts 100 watts out put transformer 2.2k. Used 6bl7 cathode followers. I don't think they sound good SE. 811a, 805's where used for record cutting amps. I have not tried Mosfets, the 6bl7 can handle 600 volts very simple circuit. Never seen a 100TL very expensive and rare
Old 15th November 2018, 02:37 PM   #8
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej1050 View Post
I've got a pair of VT-127A tubes that are similar operating but a completely different bottle and I one day plan to make into a SET amp with them but that's years away. It is exceedingly rare to find actual amps made with these guys since they are so high voltage the cost becomes a prohibitor even if the tubes themselves aren't all that expensive.

That schematic posed by Soundhappy should actually be close enough to work. The amplification factor of the TH is about double the TL but it'll definitely drive fine with the tube swapped.
There is a reason why people don't use these . VT127A has Ra of around 6k . It's a 75TH with a 5V , 10.5A filament . Not easy to work with . I had to build mounting bases from blocks of teflon and had to have heatsink connectors custom made . The choke input , choke smoothed DC filament supply for the 2 x VT127A weighed 30kgs . I ran these zero bias at around 600V using a 7236 cathode follower and TZ20 driver . The amp needed feedback , was too large to put in a box (built on a Tek scope trolley) and was a potential deathtrap due to the exposed topcaps

75TL is the one to find... much prettier and easier to use but extremely rare . If you are really keen to build an amp using these big old triodes , HK54 is worth looking in to

316a
Old 16th November 2018, 06:43 PM   #9
hpeter is offline hpeter  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

looking at ebay, these are unobtainium
Old 26th November 2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

316a,

TZ20 as a driver ? Can you eloborate aboit this tube a bit more ? I find it extremly sexy...globe...TT...but rp of 70k, 5mA at 600V only...not too linear curves...hmmmm.

Amp Schmeatic for 100TLHide this!Advertise here!