• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Request for suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found this one. Is something like this is what you have in mind?
1960’s Vintage Magnavox Stereo Tube Amp Model 9302-10, 4xEL84, 6BQ5 | eBay

Yes, exactly.
All as Eli says, it has a mains isolation transformer, so the chassis is isolated (Not Live) and has lots of repair, upgrade and learning opportunity.

And it can be 'lounge friendly' with a little wood working skill. Like Maker Shed here:
1960’s Magnavox Vacuum Tube Amplifier Restoration – The Maker Shed

FWIW, I like at least 40 mA. of B+ being available per "12" W. multi-grid O/P tube. Then, a few mA. more for the small signal types. A significant reason for the success "El Cheapo" has enjoyed is the 200+ mA. B+ supply. Reserves of current make for dynamic headroom.

The "maggotbox" models with a 5U4GB rectifier definitely have some cojones.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just another opinion but in my view you could just get started by building a simple junkbox spud amp taking output from your laptop's headphone jack and driving a cheap used radio or console driver.
The chances that you'll never want to build something else after your first project are almost nil wherever you start so you might as well get off the launch pad with something easy and unpretentious and have a good time doing it.

If you shoot for magnificent perfection straight out of the gate it's a guaranteed path of critical unsatisfy-able misery. Some might try to deny this , saying you'll be happy with whatever they think is best for you , but then, ask them how many things they've built and you'll get your perspective. Don't wait for the perfect speaker. It's nonsense. Just build something cheap and have fun. Who cares if it's not the best thing under the moon. At least you'll be learning through the fruits of your own two hands.

My 2¢

I use 12V LED supplies for Heater (or an ATX supply), and I use either of these depending on the B+ I need
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/150W-Invert...erter-12V-to-110V-200V-220V-280V/202325114783
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/500W-12VDC-...=item3f96fbdc1e:g:2uwAAOSwx2harmNf:rk:12:pf:0

I'm using the 500W for a push pull 6P45S amp...

Thank you. I meant one that can power filaments, B+, and bias directly from 120/240V, like in that small amp in the wooden case. It would be a great option to have some ready to use for DIY!

Thanks everyone. Just bought the 9302-10. I am sure I will have plenty of questions once I receive it. I will start reading in the interim about these. I am not an electronics buff but know how to read the schematics at the basic level, how to solder etc. Mostly work on solid state and on microcontrollers. Any suggestions on how to handle these tube amps and do's and don'ts?

Thanks again for everyone pitching in and helping me take first steps.

Thank you. I meant one that can power filaments, B+, and bias directly from 120/240V, like in that small amp in the wooden case. It would be a great option to have some ready to use for DIY!

There are power supplies out there for a moving head, these are for example
380V 0,8A, 12V 10A and 36V 2A

Not sure if you could use them for a tube amp.

Litewinsune Magazijn 7R 230 w Beam Moving Head Power Board Supply 230 380 v 28 v 24 v 12 v 36 v in Litewinsune Magazijn 7R 230 w Beam Moving Head Power Board Supply 230-380 v 28 v 24 v 12 v 36 v van Podium Verlichting Effect op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.