• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SL7 equivalent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a single triode in 7 or 9 pin package or a twin triode in a 9 pin package, that is an electrical equivalent to a 6SL7? The way a 6CG7 is equivalent to a 6SN7. I need to mod a circuit to be smaller. Would parallel sections of a 12AX7 or 12AT7 work? I can make some changes but I want a starting point not radically different. Thank You!

There is no exact equivalent that I know of, but the 6AT6 is pretty close, probably within tube to tube variations.

There are 3 pin compatible flavors of this tube. The 6AQ6, 6AT6 and 6AV6.

The 6AQ6 has a 150 mA heater and therefore has the highest Rp and lowest current carrying capability.

The 6AT6 is most like a 6SL7 and was common in old radios, as was its 12 volt brother, the 12AT6.

The 6AV6 had a tighter wound grid resulting in higher Mu. It is "1/2 of a 12AX7" despite looking nothing like a 12AX7 internally.

The 5751 is what I use in one of my 9 pin designs in place of the 6SL7 in the companion octal design. It did require some resistor value tweaking.

Last edited:
6N2P-EV is more like 12ax7, it is not a 6sl7.

Given the choice I would use a 12ax7 anytime before a 6n2p-ev.

Odd.

I hear the opposite usually. The 6N2P has better input capacitance in many applications, and a smidge lower plate resistance at typical operating points than the 12AX7. I found them to be a smidge more linear in basic circuits like grounded cathode gain stages.

The only real miff against them (which is not a terribly big deal) is that the sections aren't always as well matched as 12AX7 types, but this is to be expected of most bulk-lot tubes anyways. If the circuit relies on perfect matches it may not be the best choice, but most circuits have ways of dealing with imbalance in such applications.

If you use them in something like an RIAA stage or EQ circuitry you may need to adjust some parts values to account for the lower plate resistance, but they are otherwise a very good tube when implemented properly.

My favorite application for them is a grounded cathode gain stage with an unbypassed cathode resistor, coupled to a cathodyne. Nice way to go when swinging a couple dozen volts at moderate-high gain into reasonably low capacitance output tube grids. The distortion spectra in such an application is relatively benign, mostly second harmonic, which is cancelled mostly by the output stage. I find it works well with no parts changes in most of my builds compared to the 6SL7/6N9S, with maybe minor adjustments to the cathode resistor, and works great at tyical 12AX7 operating points as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.