• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Posted "NuClassD" amp design: 50W hybrid class-D / Korg Nutube

I finally got to documenting the design of the 50 watt hybrid amp design I've been playing with for some time. It uses the Korg Nutube as a gain stage in front of a Monolithic Power MP7770 self-oscillating class-D amp chip (as well as a few JFETs).

You can find details here: NuClassD 50W Nutube hybrid amp

NuClassDPBA.jpg

Pete

Very nice!!! Kudos once again. How do you think this new hybrid might sound compared to your Nutube buffer (which I purchased but have yet to solder up) leading into a Hypex amp? I currently have multiple Hypex amps, but miss the sound of my old EL34 that has been in sick bay for a few years. So I purchased your buffer. I may have to purchases this one as well in order to compare the two.

Man Pete! This sounds awesome, but I already have too many projects in the cue! Looks like I'm going to have to add another.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for all your great designs and for sharing them with the DIY community. I really enjoyed building and listening to your SSMH and a couple versions of the Millet Hybrid Maxed, one of which I'm listening to as I type.

Cheers!

Pete will answer, but it is already in "bridged output" mode, so pushing 2 Ω is asking for trouble. Internally it has a self-protection-on-thermal-overload circuit, so you could safely try it, but don't expect great results. At least that's from y review of the circuit schematic and Class-D power amplifier module docs. GoatGuy