• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best OPT for EL84 PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That kit appears to use some very nice transformers, and they look suspiciously like a Z565. I doubt switching to a high-end Tango transformer would yield much of an improvement. Are you unhappy with the sound of your amplifier?

ive asked ANK if the OPT in the kit are from Triode z565. lets see if they are, I wont bother upgrading the OPT

I love the sound of the amp, just curious if I could get even better sound

thanks

hi everyone!

Long time

Ok, I have a EL84 ANkit with stock OPT ANK Audiokits - L1 EL84 Integrated Amplifier I want to put into my amp better OPT. So far, I see Tango as a serious contender. Tamura dont offer el84 OPT, hashimoto neither. any suggestions! looking for the pair of opt under 800 USD!

For 800$ I could built you a 6P45S triode amp good for 80W... You might be going past the point of diminishing returns...

But can it run on Ultralinear? The El84 only has a 300v screen grid max. voltage.

In UL- and triode connections the screen voltage varies according to the plate voltage.
Therefore these do not stress G2 like does pentode connection does.
Exceeding the max. screen voltage specs. with few tens of volts does not mean anything
as long as the anode- and screen dissipation is kept within the limits.

A good example how loosely amplifier manufacturers have interpreted max. values of tubes is Geloso G.279-A.
It has two pentode connected EL34s with 1000 V plate voltage.
And these amplifiers have been manufactured a lot.

Attachments

• G279A_1.jpg
    G279A_1.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 278
  • G279A_2.jpg
    G279A_2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 263
In my opinion, purchasing an expensive pair of OPT's it's worth if you are building a 2A3, or a #45 amp for example. Also, PP OPT's are much easier to build because they will not saturate and they don't have a gap; I don't think those OPT's from the kit are that bad. Enjoy your amp building!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.