• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cayin 550 300B manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

After few years of enjoying tube amps from EL84, EL34, 6L6 and KT88. I recently got a Cayin 550 4x300B amp. It build like a tank and very very big, almost twice the size of my Icon Audio Stereo 40. The Cayin still works and sound beautiful. But the previous owner doesn't have the user manual for this over 20 year old beast. I really want to know whether the amp is Auto bias or Fixed bias although there is no biasing screw on the chassis, I read that some Cayin amps have to open the chassis for biasing. Does anyone have a manual by any chance?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Instead of filling the form as I am unable to do it without a home address in China, I email Cayin. Guess what? They email me the manual. What a fantastic after sale service. So the amp is Auto bias and more importantly, it shows me the correct positions and types of the 8 preamp tubes.

I am now partnering the Cayin 550 with Spark CD-12a and Tannoy 637. The Cayin beats my Icon Audio Stereo 40i mkI (running EL34) in all aspects, not by far, but just better.

I would also recommend UK stereophile to check your power voltage. Mine is between 246 to 254 volt in Reading area, average around 250. It's much too high for most of my equipment. Hence, I added voltage regulator and power filter, they improve the sound quality for not much money.

Thank RayDay and Merlin for your help,

Will

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.