• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Western Electric New 300B made in USA 2018

To me, those old tubes come from a different world, soundwise. A world, which isn't any longer existing because of the restrictions in chemicals that limits and changes the standards in production of such things like tubes cathode plating (there was a special sauce that WE used for coating the cathodes for best electron emission and longevity and they had this very special coal like anode plating material the new 300B doesn't have).

My friend has a (a not very serious) theory that tubes "improve" as they age. ie, the cathode chemistry gets better as the years pass by, which is why a modern tube doesn't sound as good from something built in the 1950s.

So if we sit around long enough, the Philips tubes cranked out in the 80s will just get better 'n' better ;)

@Soundhappy.. I have not hear the original WE300b, but I own the elekit TU8600 and I have compared Gold Lion (the worse, really very far) EML300bMesh and ELROG 300b and for me, the ELROG is more detailed, precise and with 'heart'. I am in waiting list for the new WE, and I hope these can up to ELROGs...

Back to DHT theme. WE 300B 2018 are not available today but probably tomorrow. Explain me how yesterday You compare NEW WE with NOS WE without last modern version in the amplifier ? Pattience it´s be possible in very near future :)
I compared a real NOS WE 300B tube with a pair of new production "WE" 300B that was in my posession and that I knew long enough to say how it sounds in a Shindo Concertino amplifier. The real WE kicked the new one out of this amp with their inherent dynamics and their tone of old, dark wine. The new one wasn't bad at all, but only until you heard what the old one was capable of doing. And an ELROG tube will be for always and ever an ELROG tube, never a Western Electric one. You can wait for ever but that wonder wouldn't be happen.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently there are some for whom the "mystique" of a Western Electric product is more powerful than the actual sound of the product. I was fortunate enough to find a couple of new in the boxes engraved base WE 300B tubes in a electronics surplus store in the mid 1990s. Over the next decade I used them in a couple of different amplifiers using Magnequest and Electra-Print output transformers. In the end I found that I preferred the sound of the AVVT 300Bs so I sold the WE tubes for enough money to buy both a new CD player and Tamura 5002 output transformers. I regret nothing. I now use EML 320B XLS tubes with my Tamura transformers and really don't care if the new WE 300B is ever released.

@Soundhappy.. I have not hear the original WE300b, but I own the elekit TU8600 and I have compared Gold Lion (the worse, really very far) EML300bMesh and ELROG 300b and for me, the ELROG is more detailed, precise and with 'heart'. I am in waiting list for the new WE, and I hope these can up to ELROGs...

Jama You lucky Man :)
I know is pricey get matched pair from WE
Please share with DiyAudio folks Your experieces after 300Baby's reception :cheerful: Best regards

I compared a real NOS WE 300B tube with a pair of new production "WE" 300B that was in my posession and that I knew long enough to say how it sounds in a Shindo Concertino amplifier.

Do You sure this "WE" 300B was not just re-labeled fake ? You don't know certified made in USA 2018~ 19 batch I guess :rolleyes:

Yes Elrog is not Western Electric but in my humble opinion is superb quality and good example of the vacuum tubes rebirth. Modern can "play in competition " with vintage quality and is possible only beacause producer team Guys have knowledge about triodes secrets. It's not just the next copy of old product for make money. It's try to build triodes who is better the ones from " golden era "~1930~ 1955. One ambitious quality work.

Anyways have fun and enjoy " old wine bottle" :lickface: :D

Do You sure this "WE" 300B was not just re-labeled fake ?
You don't know certified made in USA 2018~ 19 batch I guess
:rolleyes:
Anyways have fun and enjoy " old wine bottle" :lickface: :D

I did made this listening comparison approx. year 2005 and the contestant wasn't a newest "WE" production, it was a mid 90's production that I tested against a real WE early 60's production. If a tube sounds that good and looks like a real original (and I have some to compare), than how could it be fake? If a chinese cheap fake company would be able to build such a highest quality level of 300B tubes that sound like an original early production and looks exactly like this, they won't have problems to sell. But nobody would be able to build such tubes anymore and I include the new company called "WE" into this statement.

Last edited:
There is no wine as before.
Phylloxéra.
Chimicals.
And so much différent things.
The same for the tubes.
We are happy to get new good tubes.
We are a lot on earth who had listen to Old tubes.
And a lot to know that new isn't old.

What you wrote is trivial.
How could you know if you haven't compared by yourself?
The company claims they could deliver tubes that are, at least, as good as the old were. Do you compare or are you a believer?

Yes, let's see the first Diyer who brings us new 300B matched pair photo's after he received them from Rossville :cheerful:

Attachments

• 19B0C851-BE5E-4B53-9A5C-61379E154F04.JPG
    19B0C851-BE5E-4B53-9A5C-61379E154F04.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 711
  • 70BEA48C-E55B-4AD6-B50C-B4D5CE8A7901.JPG
    70BEA48C-E55B-4AD6-B50C-B4D5CE8A7901.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 710