• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Western Electric New 300B made in USA 2018

The answer is very simple, too.
Gray, dear friend, is all theory and green of life's golden tree.
Faust 1, Studierzimmer. (Mephistopheles)

Your arguments are theoretical but there were people that build and listened.
You don't have to do it this way. Try to find your own. Other people have done, too. And that schemo is one of a zillion. It mustn't fit to your taste, but obviously it was for the taste of one other gentlemen. If you don't try, you'll never know.

Last edited:
I’m not convinced, so I will volunteer to build an amp and evaluate if one of you fellas would kindly send me a pair of these 300B’s :D

Attachments

• 6E143CDA-10D6-4644-B9DE-8CB56645ED22.png
    6E143CDA-10D6-4644-B9DE-8CB56645ED22.png
    947.8 KB · Views: 209
..That doesn't mean an expensive 300B isn't nice to own. I'd like to own one of these tubes, they look the business... I already have too many tubes.

fyi - Sakuma-san would sometimes put a 300B or 845
into the driver seat rather than the output tube socket so he could 'hear it'

Yes :) I need search in the book..

Let's see now 300B amplifiers designs types :

A | capacitor coupled stages , frequently build examples

MJ1909_(06)remodeling-AC-ignition_KobayashiK.pdf - Google Drive

B | interstages transformer coupled , Western Electric "old days" classic style, build DIY examples are show less frequently

MJ2009_(04)300B-single-power-amp_IwamuraY.pdf - Google Drive

C | directly coupled and OTL's amplifiers ,rare and hyper rare

MJ^9404_(02)DC-amp_300B-single-power-amp_KanedaA.pdf - Google Drive

D | Sakuma-san and Thomas Mayer extensive use of chokes , audio input transformers, interstage transformer(s)
driver stage can be as well with DHT 300B etc.

Direct Heating

300B / VV300B push-pull end power amplifier

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/search/label/300B

https://www.elrog.com/products/

https://www.elrog.com/prices/

Yes, since some time this tube can be ordered on a preorder list.

You know, when there is a market for a product, capitalism always strive to supply this demand. Since decades, for almost all consumer products the supply is greater than the demand. After WW2, we lived in demand driven markets, demand was bigger than supply.

But that times has gone completely, today the consumer could choose between many products which are being offered in any market.
The new WE company had a unique product on offering and produced it for some years to supply the demand with great success. Now since a long time they failed to offer this product. Why is that? Because of the movement of the company to a new production site?

In germany, Tesla is building a new car production plant. 2019 planning was finished, 2021 the new plant is scheduled to go into full production. Tens of thousands of new workers had to be hired and trained. A new supply chain must be established to produce every minute or so one new car. All that happens within a very short time period with a much more complex product than an electron tube.
I have to laugh a lot about the shortage of workforce.

Audi has gone to Mexico and established a new production plant for their SUV model.
How many mexicans before have build Audi SUV?

Do you know the difference to build a whole car compared a single electron tube with roughly hundred parts?
And the workforce can be recruited and needs some training, every where on the world the same fact. You can hire an engineer in the US, I don't think there is a shortage on engineers there. You can hire a simple worker and train them. All done every day in every company. But you can't go short on delivery of your main product for years. That causes the company to crash badly. So I think there were and are some very serious shortcomings in management and in other vital necessary parts that still shifts the point where this company will be able to deliver its main product again.

But thats not a question of a shortage in labor workforce or time consuming handmade (to be honest, its about establishing a serial industrial production that uses handwork and some machine work, Henry Ford did the same serial industrial production with his T-model in the early 1900's. It was a the next step after the manufacture method to produce more items faster and cheaper in a constant quality by a low qualified (and therefore cheap) workforce).

If you are a novice in economics, it may be possible to believe your arguments. But if you have a knowledge of the establishment of new plants that produces industrial consumery goods its impossible to believe. We don't talk about handpainted Rubens picture here (and even he had a workforce that did the basic things like painting the background in a mono color etc.).

Its a simple industrial product produced since decades, in fact its a replica of the whole production process established by WE in early 1900.

No rocket science or high tech to be found here.

Last edited:
Its a simple industrial product produced since decades, in fact its a replica of the whole production process established by WE in early 1900.

No rocket science or high tech to be found here.

It is not very easy to resurrect 80 years old manufacturing process. Many materials simply cannot be found, because there was no demand for them for decades. Some material and processes cannot be used, because modern standard on safety and environmental conditions prohibit you from using them (does RoHS rings the bell for you). That means some materials and processes need to be altered, and that may result in final product being worse than it used to be 50 years ago. And all these when you need to compete with Chinese manufacturing that runs full steam, has less environmental restrictions, and the only advantage you have is QUALITY.

This reminds me boutique phono cartridge manufacturers in Japan. Many of them are in fact ONE MAN shop. They do make nice niche, very expensive low volume products and often you have to wait while ordered item is manufactured after you paid for it.

Last edited: