• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

When do the tubes have a fever?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wondering what is a "normal" working temperature for a tube.:hot:

My KT88 in Single Ended reach 103 degC in 8 minutes, and maximum 125 degC in 20 minutes. (I wonder if 125 degC is the end of scale of the meter, since the 5U4G also rise to the same 125 degC :scratch1: )

I put the sensor at the top of the valve and then cover with metal paper.

It is really hot, but since I can not compare I don't know if its normal or not.

What is the temperature of your amp?

Cheers,

Manuel

By the way, is it possible to tell by thermal difference between used tubes and new?
which is probably silly because of unlimited differences in make model and manufacture date. can this method detect premature failure? if you say, set pre-defined limits based upon an average temperature for specific tube models? or will other methods more accurately predict failure?

Although it isn't designed to go more than...130°C? They have thermal cutouts in the ovens.

I know my 4CX250R's are basically 4X150s (which I have a few as well) with ceramic rather than glass seals, and as such handle higher temps, allowing greater dissipation. They're basically identical on the outside, aside from the white stuff between the metal bits and a better-constructed radiator.

Tim

Right on.

The temp for KT88s and 4cx250bs are 250 degrees C.

For those unfamiliar with the 7034/4x150A, the max temp is 175 degrees C at the base and grid 2 seals and 200 at the plate seal, and 250 at base end of the plate, and junction of the fins.

Take care guys.
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.