• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Schiit Lyr 2 schematic needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely those Wima need to be urgently replaced with something better.

Also I want to measure the DC bias of the triodes. Usually the 6DJ8 give the best at higher polarization, almost close to their operative limit (thus the short life of those tubes in the beautiful sounding Audible Illusions preamps).
Maybe pushing the BIAS higher can help to improve the sound-stage that it's quite poor.

Any other thought?

I don't think you need to bias the tubes too hard to get them to sound good. 40 to 50% of their maximum dissipation should be fine, IMHO. Some bad sound heard from commercial components I've attributed to tubes running at about 10% of their diss limit.

Regards, Steve

Reactions: 1 user
Problem:

1 - Toggling gain switch does not change gain, instead there is a momentary loud boom sound (which could damage speaker drivers)
2 - The volume lowers down and may go up again automatically
3 - Turning power switch off generates momentary loud boom sound (The relay does not seem to kick in to avoid the transient. However relay is in working-order as it provides turn-on delay)
4 - I tried with another set of tubes. The tubes are not the issue..
5 - Gain toggling only makes a pop sound on both headphone & preout with no change in actual volume gain.
6 - The volume is almost silent till i turn the knob all the way to about 4 o' clock where it picks up volume exponentially till the full swing of the knob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.