• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help needed with SS CCS for Tube Phono Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm an old-ish tube guy that needs help with a solid state constant current source.

I want to build Broskie's balanced phono stage from a recent blog. See picture and link, scroll about 2/3 of the way down the blog. Broskie does mention that several LM334Z devices could be used in parallel. How would this be done/accomplished?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Return of the Triadtron & Balanced Phono

Attachments

• Broskie balanced phono.png
    Broskie balanced phono.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 459
Koba, a few questions please, if you don't mind

What is the calculation for the Rset you gave for the LM317 CCS? It's not that I don't believe you, I have no experience with CCSs.

If I use a negative supply would say a 9 volt battery work? It would only draw 10mA (I'd use one per channel) and only when the tube is conducting right? Would the neg 9 volts connect to the V- terminal on the LM317? Would the Rset connect to the ground or neg 9 volts?

On a related topic I'm building two versions of your 6H6n PPP amp. The first one is actually just PP, one 6H6n per channel. I'll be using this with 14 to 20 ohm headphones. I was inspired by Lingwendi's flea power 6SN7 amp but then stumbled across your 6H6n PPP. I'll be using Antek torroids for OPTs like Lingwendi did. See attachment please. Is the way I have the pins on the LN317 labeled correct? Can I eliminate the 15 ohm resistors when making a PP amp?

On another thread you mentioned a 6H6n OTL headphone amp. Do you have a link for this please?

Regards and thanks, Steve

Attachments

• 6H6n PPP modified.png
    6H6n PPP modified.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 300
What is the calculation for the Rset you gave for the LM317 CCS? It's not that I don't believe you, I have no experience with CCSs.

If I use a negative supply would say a 9 volt battery work? It would only draw 10mA (I'd use one per channel) and only when the tube is conducting right? Would the neg 9 volts connect to the V- terminal on the LM317? Would the Rset connect to the ground or neg 9 volts?

On a related topic I'm building two versions of your 6H6n PPP amp. The first one is actually just PP, one 6H6n per channel. I'll be using this with 14 to 20 ohm headphones. I was inspired by Lingwendi's flea power 6SN7 amp but then stumbled across your 6H6n PPP. I'll be using Antek torroids for OPTs like Lingwendi did. See attachment please. Is the way I have the pins on the LN317 labeled correct? Can I eliminate the 15 ohm resistors when making a PP amp?

On another thread you mentioned a 6H6n OTL headphone amp. Do you have a link for this please?

Regards and thanks, Steve
Here is a description of how to use LM317 as CCS.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Current-Regulator/LM317-Current-Regulator.png
Yes, you can eliminate the plate stoppers if you don't parallel tubes.
I've attached the 6N6P HP schematic. You can use almost any tube for the first position. I've used 6DJ8, 6N3P, 6CG7, 12AU7, etc. I prefer the 6N3P if I'm honest.
Let me know how the Anteks are... I've only used Triad but they work so incredibly well that I have no reason to switch them.
Cheers

Attachments

• Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
For lowish current at small to-moderate voltage drop I still like to use the bipolar cascode arrangement, the setup used by Sy in his Heretical Preamplifier is my go-to CCS for differentials, cathode followers, and would work well here, although it does carry a pretty high parts count compared to the three-legged regulator IC rigs.

Maybe I should design a PCB? could make them super compact too.

Hmm.

Inspired by my flea amplifier? :eek:

You're making me blush :D

I'm an old-ish tube guy that needs help with a solid state constant current source.

I want to build Broskie's balanced phono stage from a recent blog. See picture and link, scroll about 2/3 of the way down the blog. Broskie does mention that several LM334Z devices could be used in parallel. How would this be done/accomplished?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Return of the Triadtron & Balanced Phono
Did you build this? How did it sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.