• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best sounding tube for low power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amplifier for headphones. A lot of time I devoted to studying the question - which valves are best for sound from low-power. I found next 2 favorits: PX4 Marconi-Osram 1 generation with barium anode (1920s) Sonatron 71a (171-A). Any body hear this tubes? Are there any better ones? Thanks. Best wishes.

The first thing you must do is decide what parameters you require as that alone determines the amount of distortion produced by the choice of valve.
The size of valve, anode area/cathode material determines the amount of power that can be produced and other parameters.
So, there is no best sounding valve.

Agree.
On this moment definitely i thick only - output power 0.1-1 watts, and impendance 32-42 Ohm.
Other parameters - too width range of conditions.
Just best sound.

Thanks!
Great!
I don`t hear earlier about 1626 and VT-137.

Attachments

• Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
I have some datasheets for the -ER suffix type which states 330 V for both anode and screen.

Also, 65 mA cathode current max, which is useful since most of the other datasheets just give a pulse current max. Maybe needs a bit of derating since the -ER has a slightly (800 mA) more powerful heater.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.