• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best sounding tube for low power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A good tube for effect boxes! Indeed, very specific sound. :D

20121226_101651.jpg

I love my Darling amp that uses 1626 tubes. The beauty of this amp is that with a simple socket adaptor it becomes a 12B4A SET and while using the 8 pins socket I also have the option of triode strapped 12V6 (a resistor must be added).

There you have it ; 3 amps into 1, simply by changing tubes, no bias adjustment needed. You choose: 1626 or 12B4A or 12V6

BR
Eric

Attachments

• Darling 1626 vs 12V6.jpg
    Darling 1626 vs 12V6.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Last edited:
Thanks Kodabmx.
I am testing transformers for the 6P45s what voltage and current did you use for your amp? To get the 300 volts?

Phil

There are two ways I use. One is a 572VA toroidal isolation transformer (120V) into a delon doubler, the other is a 500W boost converter (160V output into a delon doubler). I use fixed bias, Iq=120mA per tube. Since you have 240V, you can use a 240V isolation transformer into a standard bridge circuit. OTOH, it's nice to be able to run the amp from 12V too.

Here's a link to the boost converter: MINI DC-AC Inverter 12V To 18V220V/380V 500W Boost Step UP Power Module New Hot | eBay
One day I'll start a thread about it.

I know that Russian DIYers that call themselves "Audiophiles" also prefer copper wires from cables from German WW-II submarines.

One will develop many interesting and unusual preferences when listening to music by candlelight on a steady diet of expired kvass and stale blini.

A good tube for effect boxes! Indeed, very specific sound. :D
That looks like it would be nice for guitar or other MI type of amplification.

Last edited:
I told about EL11 in triod, that is different mode with nice sound. If someone doubt, can try, but with only Telefunken, with good OTs and fullranges....Tungsram sounds different. EL12 and EL34 are far and can be used for guitar amp.

Last edited:
One will develop many interesting and unusual preferences when listening to music by candlelight on a steady diet of expired kvass and stale blini.

It is all about "Unobtainium". Iron curtain taught to prefer all foreign.

That looks like it would be nice for guitar or other MI type of amplification.

Indeed; this curves resemble 6L6 in triode mode.

6l6trio.gif

Hi Folks,

Having just completed a couple of Fred Nachbaur's Miniblok SET amps, I've been seduced by the idea of the Darling 1626 amp.

Being in Australia, do I just order a 240v transformer with the correct secondary for this Darling schematic? Every one I've come across has US 120v on the primary.

Sorry this is a noob question but I'm still learning...

Cheers, Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.