Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6N2P/6CW5 design with toroidal outputs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2018, 03:51 PM   #11
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

FWIW I ran triode connected 6P43P at 300V B+ using CCS cathode biasing (about 30V) as my television amp for at least a year for 24H/day with no issues. It was working until I removed the OPTs for another build using 6DQ6B.
Old 16th October 2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

I'm not a huge fan of triode-connected pentodes unless they're really special, so my tendancy is to go pentode mode and leave things a bit lean for longevity. If going triode mode I think simply using the screen regulator for the plate supply with a big heatsink would be a nice way to go, if a bit hot and wasteful.

That reminds me I need to play with the (twenty-one!) 6P43P-E that I have on hand. When I first tried them in this amplifier (as built) They redplated quickly, so I think that some experimenting needs to be done. They pulled enough current to put over 25 volts across each 500R cathode resistor for 50mA each plate current (280 volts across each tube), and blew up one of the 50 volt bypass capacitors. Redplated at 14 watts?! This was even with the screen voltage set low so I could adjust it up as needed. I have a feeling they will need a much higher value cathode resistance, or a much lower plate voltage to be happy. They seem to be a pretty close equivalent at lower voltages, but more fooling around is needed to see what their happy place is up high. I could just use a CCS on each one, but, well, I don't want to

I haven't tried them triode connected, so I can't comment on them there.

Ideally, i would like to draw up a dual mono PCB design for this amplifier setup using EasyEDA, as it could easily be made up on a pair of 100mmX100mm boards, and there sure are enough suitable tubes to make it worthwhile to have on hand. I'll have to play more with the layout I have sketched up to get something symmetrical and easy to use. Should be useful for all those builds all my friends and family keep asking for

Last edited by Lingwendil; 16th October 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 17th October 2018, 01:17 AM   #13
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of triode-connected pentodes unless they're really special
Some of them can sound pretty good. The 6V6 sounds pretty good in triode if you want a low $ alternative to the 45. The 5V6 and 12V6 are still pretty cheap. The DHP 307A triode wired makes a good stand in for the 300B. Squeezing 50 to 70 watts from a pair of triode wired KT88's is cool too, and sounds pretty good as well, but as you say, most are just OK.

Quote:
triode connected 6P43P
I have never seen these, so I can't say what they will eat.

I have maybe 20 GE 6CW5's that I pulled out of a bunch of HP audio oscillators that were headed to the metal scrappers. I also have about 12 French made rebranded UL84's that I bought for the Hundred Buck Amp Challenge, and a few 16CW5's. All behave in a similar manner, you can feed the plate anything up to 400 volts as long as G2 is around 150 volts. The screen, and maybe the plate will glow if you go over 250 volts on the screen. I never tried triode or UL with any of these.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:49 AM   #14
6J7 is offline 6J7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't tried them triode connected
I did, they sound pretty good at 200V 35-40mA with mixed bias (100 ohms cathode resistor not bypassed and about 220K g1 to ground through negative fixed bias supply) and seem to be stable. No harshness with a high load: 10K toroidy OPT. A nice low power PP amplifier, even open loop.

Some curves here:

Roehrenkennlinien

6P43P-E triode connected looks quite nice, now take a look at pentode mode
Old 17th October 2018, 01:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Those are some weird curves in pentode! I need to dig out the curves I came across a while back, they looked way, way better than those ones!

EDIT-

artasolo posted them here, in post #918-
Vacuum Tube SPICE Models

Low current definitely looks pretty funky. Perhaps triode mode is the best use for these guys? Otherwise deep into class A to keep everything straight?

Last edited by Lingwendil; 17th October 2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:19 PM   #16
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Indeed, but the 6P43P triode curves are very nice, indeed
Old 19th October 2018, 10:21 PM   #17
Sodacose is online now Sodacose  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome project! Have you tried the RC step-network front end with a MOSFET concertina?

I've been thinking about putting together something similar with oddball heater tubes and Edcor XPP10s I have collecting dust:

Click the image to open in full size.

Toroid OPTs would be even cooler (though no UL).
Old 19th October 2018, 11:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I haven't, and I've been meaning to try it. Next time I order parts I plan to grab a few more types of mosfets to play with. It'll save a whole tube per channel, so worth a shot!

6N2P/6CW5 design with toroidal outputsHide this!Advertise here!