• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can someone give some info on this tube circuit please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Your saying now 68kohms is peanuts, other say it's not great, who am I to believe now?....

Do math.

The cathode follower has 62V across 33k. We ask to drive a 68k load. The question is, HOW BIG??

At an extreme, the CF will pull-down to 62V * (68k/(68k+33k)) or 41V peak.

Would we ever ask a Line Amp to deliver 41V peak? No, maybe not even 1/10th of that.

The CF's distortion at MAX output will approach 5%/Mu or about 0.3%. At 1/10th that level it will be about 0.03%.

Then there is overall NFB. The gain stage has gain near 16. The closed-loop gain can be 2 or 4.7. The noise gain is then 3 or 5.7. NFB factor is 16/3=5 or 16/5.7=2.8. CF added distortion will be effectively 0.01%. "Dead clean" by tube standards.

I have ignored the THD of the gain stage. This will clip near 28V peak. Just below that say 5% THD. Near 2.8V peak more like 0.5%. Under NFB, about 0.2%.

I've never felt that sub-1% 2nd Harmonic was a big deal. But if you are sensitive to it, you may disagree.

georgehifi said:
This could be upped as we have 230v here and if setup using the 200v primaries that will give higher B+, but then other things have to be considered as well heaters ect, all too hard, time is better spent making Lightspeeds.
Putting 230V into a 200V primary may lead to saturation, unless the mains transformer is very good quality. Even if it works OK, 15% more voltage will make little difference to the circuit. You need 50-80% more voltage.

TonyTecson said:
12AU7 a poor valve choice? some folks swear by these tubes, bottleheads' foreplay line amp comes to mind...

the 12au7 is the small brother of the venerable 6sn7 and the 6cg7/6fq7 is the 9 pin version...
12AU7 is a poor choice for a cathode follower. It has low gm; CF's need high gm. 6SN7 is also a poor CF, for the same reason.

12AU7 and 6SN7 were aimed at the same applications, such as multivibrators in TV circuits. It just happens that the 6SN7 is more linear in audio circuits too.

Deliberately increasing distortion in one stage in order to cancel distortion in another stage is rarely a good way to design audio circuits. I have no idea whether that was the aim here.

Already done that With Allen Wright's (rip) SLCF (Super Linear Cathode Follower), I built both into in a Lightspeed, and it wasn't nearly as as good as without them.

I've posted the A/B up here ages ago, probably in the Lightpseed Attenuator thread.

Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Cheers George

Did you regulate the power for the circuit? How are you certain it was running properly?

It was a one off Allen insisted I make to graft onto the Lightspeed

Yes power supply also came from Allen, all I had to do was add the linear tranny he recommended.

And yes working perfect, as Allen was a very good acquaintance and with emails, got me to check all voltages and currents when I told him it wasn't as transparent or dynamic as it was without it.

Funny we're talking about it as it's just now been sold for the 4th time since I built it more than 10 years ago, at least it's reliable, yes it's no oil painting.
FS: Lightspeed Attenuator - But with valves ! - Classifieds - Audio - StereoNET

Cheers George

Do math.

The cathode follower has 62V across 33k. We ask to drive a 68k load. The question is, HOW BIG??

At an extreme, the CF will pull-down to 62V * (68k/(68k+33k)) or 41V peak.

Would we ever ask a Line Amp to deliver 41V peak? No, maybe not even 1/10th of that.

The CF's distortion at MAX output will approach 5%/Mu or about 0.3%. At 1/10th that level it will be about 0.03%.

Then there is overall NFB. The gain stage has gain near 16. The closed-loop gain can be 2 or 4.7. The noise gain is then 3 or 5.7. NFB factor is 16/3=5 or 16/5.7=2.8. CF added distortion will be effectively 0.01%. "Dead clean" by tube standards.

I have ignored the THD of the gain stage. This will clip near 28V peak. Just below that say 5% THD. Near 2.8V peak more like 0.5%. Under NFB, about 0.2%.

I've never felt that sub-1% 2nd Harmonic was a big deal. But if you are sensitive to it, you may disagree.

it seems PRR has given a seal of approval, i mean how many here can design their own and not rely on the copy paste method?

fortunately we do not worship the cult of originality for originality sake.....:cool:

No just a little blame shifting trying to be applied to the Lightspeed that's the volume control for the SLCF buffer, which didn't sound as good in an A/B when the SLCF was in the signal path.

Cheers George
No blame intended. Its a simple fact though that when splicing a control into an active circuit that often Miller effects are ignored and don't show up unless a bit of testing is done. So I was asking to see if that base had been covered.

There are a lot of variables involved with an active line stage as have been seen just on this thread alone!

We had several customers modify our MP-1 preamp with SuperReg regulators. In all the cases, they were not able to get the preamp to sound as good as it did with our stock regulator. I worked with two of these preamps and in both cases the solution was to remove the SuperRegs and replace them with our own regulation. On paper the SuperReg should have been a better regulation scheme! We played with the shunt current and the like on the SuperRegs, they were set to the correct voltage and so on.

I'm mentioning this as an example of how something that for all intents and purposes should have been the cat's meow turned out to not be the case in an unexpected way.

Help needed, playing around with this again, one more question if you tube gurus can take it.
Out of the tweo (feedback) gain settings 1.15x (1.2db and 3.1x (9.8db) which one of these will drive 47kohm better, even if both are below 12o'clock on the volume control, I'm torn between the two.
Cheers George

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 152
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Change the circuit.

If you need to drive a lower external load then it is possible to parallel the triode sections of the 12AU7 to make it a cathode follower only. The value of the cathode resistor is halved. You will need to alter the biasing arrangement to the grids and there is ample information on how to do this on the net. The gain is basically unity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.