• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5U4GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to have an opinion on the 5u4gb.
I had bought two recent production (EH) and the two died the same way in two different amp (heating cut), more, I think they give a flat sound and without relief.
I would like to have an opinion on the current production (JJ among others) and on the old production (without that I need to sell an organ to buy it)
thank you

If your filaments are at 5V that is OK.

Other factors might be the problem:
A capacitor input filter that has too many uF.
Too large of a current draw.
Too little resistance in the B+ secondary DCR, at the same time as no resistor between the rectifier and the first cap.
Too high of a voltage from the B+ secondary.
Capacitor with too low of a voltage rating.

How about posting a schematic for us to look at, power supply and output stage (to estimate the current draw).

I think you're right about the 1st capacitor.
on one of the two, the original capacitor makes 80uF and when I recapitulated it,
I only had a 100uF layout and I think it's too big for these modern rectifier.
I knew I had to change to a smaller value, and put a bigger one in b1 b2 b3

psu schematic
jal-200c.jpg

^so that psu has a soft start circuit by way of the 3k 10 watt series resistor with the 5U4 cathode to the 80ufd cap and is in parallel with a relay contact that closes after a delay, this way the caps gets charged albeit slowly......

i also used this trick in my 6c33c single ended amp build...

I think you're right about the 1st capacitor.
on one of the two, the original capacitor makes 80uF and when I recapitulated it,
I only had a 100uF layout and I think it's too big for these modern rectifier.
I knew I had to change to a smaller value, and put a bigger one in b1 b2 b3

47uF is some max value for the 1st cap to 5U4GB. And also depend on R coming to anodes... Try to calculate R value measuring Your HV transformer. Example is on 6X4 rectifier datasheet, if I am remember well...
Cheers
BTW I am running 5U4GB by FIVRE in Quad II monoblocks for years. Rear and really good that fivre rects. :)

Yes, the switch and 3k resistor will help.
But then why did the two rectifiers die?
How about the secondary voltage, and the current draw?

5U4GB:
40uF,
Plate to Plate; Effective R; Load
600V; 21 Ohms; 300 mA
900V; 67 Ohms; 275 mA
1100V; 97 Ohms; 162 mA

Current is probably OK with the four 7868 tubes as a load, they are similar to 7591, just a different package.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.