• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Telephone ringer booster for old WE-302 and similar phones...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening.

Today I got bored enough to try out the new landline over fibre using a 1954 WE-302 phone.

Everything worked, even rotary dialing, except for it wouldn't ring.

So I got bored, did a little research, and kanged together this wasteful circuit. It takes the 44V weak as water ring signal from the HUB (this phone makes the line drop to 3.6V off hook!) and built an amplifier. I'm sure some people in here can show much better and more efficient circuits, but I didn't need to leave my house for this :)

Input goes to RED bell connection on phone, output goes to RED side of bell coil, GND connected to GREEN.

Feel free to comment, make suggestions, etc.

Oh, and yes it works.

EDIT: Sorry about the cut off text, The tube is a 6P1P
Cheers.

Attachments

• WE-302-ring-booster.png
    WE-302-ring-booster.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 181
  • WE-302.jpeg
    WE-302.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Attaching 450V to the phone lines is *exactly* the kind of stuff the Hush-A-Phone and Carterfone rulings protected us against. You must verify that your device is "lawful".

Ah, but US rulings do not count in Toronto, eh?

And in this case you can't shock anybody outside the house.

You really should complain. A WE-302 is certainly a lawful device, and telco terminal equipment should still support it.

450V isn't connected to the phone line, it's connected to the plate resistor. The output of the tube only connects to the bell coil, not the line. Only ground is common. A lot of Telcos in the USA don't even support rotary dialing anymore. Bell Canada will just tell me to upgrade my telephone set. It IS from 1954, after all.

My "Home HUB 3000" modem is putting out 44V ring signal. The standard was 90V when this phone was made. Oh, and the bell coil has a DCR of 4k7. You're right. There is no possible way for anyone to get a shock from this outside the home. Fibre doesn't conduct electric! If this was a PSTN I wouldn't need this circuit, but even then I'd transformer couple it instead to make it safer. I should add that this circuit has been build inside a grounded metal enclosure. You can get a shock off of a ringing phone line anyway (ask me how I know). It's also amplifying the dialing pulses. The bell rings to the rotary dial LOL

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.