• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube choice for 600R output transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EL509 would work. As far as your driver I'm not sure. Someone else hopefully will weigh in, however, here's the driver I use, personally.

Cheers.
Koda

Hello!
So you have this driver for 4 x EL509 (wired in triode) in push pull configuration load to 600 ohm plate to plate output transformer?

Do you have the output section circuit to share with me??

Thanks!

I'm using it for 2X6P45S wired as triode in push pull with a 1k3 load. I don't see why it wouldn't drive two sets in parallel with 600R load...

Here's the circuit I'm using.

Attachments

• 6F12P-6P45S-fixed-bias.png
    6F12P-6P45S-fixed-bias.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 184
Nope, but I wouldn't go any lower. At 600R you'll have current peaks of ~1.5A per side, 750ma per tube, but idle will be (in my example) 120ma. Also, music is dynamic with peaks. I don't play 80W of sine so I can't tell you if they'll like that, but I'm using a set of used tubes and they work fine. Also the heater current is higher on the 6P45S that I use. I've build this exact circuit dropping in 6LW6 tubes, too. Works well.

For good results, you'd need at least 8 per channel. Otherwise you could use 4 6KG6 sweep tubes per channel, connected as triodes, idle at 120ma per tube, B+ 300V. This will make about 15W class A limit, 140W total. 6C33C could also work, but they aren't very linear, hard to drive, and power hungry.
This trafo in question needs only one 6C33 which is much more affordable than eight KT150 or four 6KG6, I never heard about the 6C33 was unlinear, Iam surprised. Any more info about it welcome, thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.