• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier

Here the exact dimensions...

Attachments

• AMP_Dimensions.JPG
    AMP_Dimensions.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 541
  • PSU_Dimensions.JPG
    PSU_Dimensions.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 534
I would like to ask to BHEL34 users how they have set the gnfb and the shunt feedback: what values do you use for R13, R1 and R2?

Has anyone installed a potentiometer instead of R1, to give less gnfb at low volumes & simpler music stiles, then more gnfb with higher volumes and more complex music?

This is what I usually do in my guitar amps and what I was thinking to install on my hi-fi after last tests I did:
improvements on 12AX7 12AT7 EL34 schematic?

and after reading this:
https://www.hificritic.com/uploads/2/8/8/0/28808909/classic-sc3-future_without_feedback.pdf

Another BH

Just finished my 2nd Baby Huey.

This one uses the MK2 boards and MK2 psu I purchased last year.

It also has all the latest tweaks that Ian (gingertube) has suggested over time. I didn't get too concerned about aesthetics on this one. I sort of like that minimalist look :)

These are such great amps, thanks to all who had in put on this great project!

gabo

Attachments

• Baby-Huey2-2.jpg
    Baby-Huey2-2.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Baby-Huey2-3.jpg
    Baby-Huey2-3.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Baby-Huey2-4.jpg
    Baby-Huey2-4.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 476
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Greetings, my friend!

Very nice second build! I wonder why this second, but let that rest for now.

I just try to helps fellow-builders with information I gathered from folks like you.

I wondered about your unique chassis construction, which I found very worthwhile contemplating. What is the gauge of the top/side panels (looked like an 1/8th inch of aluminum). I really like the side panels of nice wood.

How did you bend it in your required shape?

Last edited:
When I purchased my transformers, I ordered two and I did the same with most components. So I pretty much had all the parts, might as well use them.

The chassis is something I do for many builds. Yes it's 1/8" aluminum. You can purchase off ebay or from metalsdepot.com in large pieces.

All you do is cut a piece the size of the top and front/back. For example, if you want an amp 18" wide x 16" deep x 4" tall, you cut your piece 18x24. Then you bend each end at the 4" mark.

To bend aluminum, you can cut a very shallow cut down a line where you want to bend. I use a router set to just cut about 1/16" of an inch deep. That provides relief and makes it easy to bend. The cut goes on the inside of the bend. Then just use a vice or just "muscle power" to bend it, with a square to know when it's straight.

Then put wood sides on it and you have a chassis. If you want to put a bottom it, just cut another piece of aluminum. Depending on where I'm going to put it, I may just leave the bottom open.

gabo

R13 at 18K with no global feedback.
Hammond 1650P (6K6 Raa) output trannies and running KT77.
Thank you for your feedback Ian! KT77 is indeed much more linear around the 25W dissipation curve, applying 43% UL, and this permits to use very low amount of shunt feedback to linearize it, so less stress on the PI. EL34 is way less linear around its maximum dissipation curve with UL only, that's the reason why (I think) it is needed to have more shunt local feedback.

In my current design (hybrid cascoded PI with CCS loaded tube driver) I have R13 at 39k plus some local feedback at sources of the nJFET and a small amount of gnfb to remove some harshness around "S" in certain recordings. But still chasing another configuration to remove gnfb, or at least made it variable as I do in my guitar amps.

Ian, have you done some tests with different UL taps and different shunt feedback?

Thanks!