Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier
EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 02:48 PM   #581
cbueche is offline cbueche  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraf View Post
Hi

While waiting for the MKII Boards of the Baby Huey, I looked a bit around concerning output transformers and wanted to share my findings by supplying a list of manufacturers (rather Europe based) for torodial and classical output transformers.
Best regards
Christoph
You can add Welcome to MONOLITH MAGNETICS | MONOLITH MAGNETICS to the list. I haven't bought from they yet and am not affiliated. They just seems to be quite serious stuff.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:09 AM   #582
feralmeida is offline feralmeida  Spain
diyAudio Member

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier Send a message via Yahoo to feralmeida
Default Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraf View Post
Hi Ev
Thanks for the Menno Van der Veen Site. Did not know it!
Regards
Christoph
It is appreciated that you share what we have in the European market, it seems to be for all qualities, tastes and pockets

These "Menno Van der Veen" and other toroids, will it be true that Toroidy has reached the quality of all toroids, even improved some?

Another prestigious one that seems to keep improving
Audio transformatoren

Best Regards
Fernan
Old 13th September 2019, 01:40 PM   #583
gideon1990 is offline gideon1990  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbueche View Post
You can add Welcome to MONOLITH MAGNETICS | MONOLITH MAGNETICS to the list. I haven't bought from they yet and am not affiliated. They just seems to be quite serious stuff.
I personally know one of the guys behind the company as he is a professor at an institute where I worked and still have certain ties to. Cool guy and certainly knows what he is doing. Personally didn't use his transformers because well... money. But I know Thomas Mayer has used them

Side note on the list of transformers: I have some indel/toroidy transformers and it hurts to spend 50% of the value on a metal box to put over them.
Old 13th September 2019, 04:27 PM   #584
feralmeida is offline feralmeida  Spain
diyAudio Member

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier Send a message via Yahoo to feralmeida
Quote:
Side note on the list of transformers: I have some indel/toroidy transformers and it hurts to spend 50% of the value on a metal box to put over them.
I think the same, the two toroidy games I bought them clean, the finish I will see how to do it for little money,
........ with cans of asparagus and some paint?

..... and add the plastic base, for the passage of cables ........,
are things that are beyond my budget.

I respect who can, they are really pretty!
Old 14th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #585
Francois G is online now Francois G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated driver supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandol83 View Post
The other 6.3 VAC 2A is used to generate the +15 VDC for the drivers and the 12 V regulator for the timer...
Would it make sense to take the driver supply after the regulator? Or is it better to have the driver supply sag with the B+? Would 12Vdc be enough for the driver supply?
Old 14th September 2019, 10:28 PM   #586
Grumpish is offline Grumpish  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon1990 View Post
Transformers accessories - Audiophonics
Old 18th September 2019, 12:05 AM   #587
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
Would it make sense to take the driver supply after the regulator? Or is it better to have the driver supply sag with the B+? Would 12Vdc be enough for the driver supply?
My question (two posts) up had not elicited a reply yet, but it got me thinking and searching.

Autobiasing output tubes (6L6)? post #12 argues that it is better NOT to regulate the bias supply if the B+ is not regulated. The author says if the bias supply is regulated then the B+ should also be regulated.

Just wondering how this applies to the regulated bias supply and unregulated B+ of our BH EL34 . Discussion of these questions would be appreciated.
Old 18th September 2019, 12:40 AM   #588
gingertube is offline gingertube  Australia
diyAudio Member

Francois
That author is correct
BUT
Take another look at the BH Power Supply schematic. Yes - there is a MOSFET in the Raw Bias Supply BUT it is acting as a capacitance multiplier NOT a regulator.
Cheers,
Ian
Old 18th September 2019, 03:10 AM   #589
diyAudio Member

Ian,
Thanks for straightening me out on the capacitance multiplier; I did not look closely enough and somehow assumed the active component regulates supply voltage.

Now I’m puzzling over why we are multiplying the capacitance of a 2uF capacitor? Am I missing something?
Old 18th September 2019, 04:28 AM   #590
gingertube is offline gingertube  Australia
diyAudio Member

No - It just improves filtering (reduces -ve supply ripple) without the need for huge caps.

Note also that the Mosfet source followers which drive the output tube grids have current source loads. Those current sources have huge AC impedance and the source followers have very small AC impedance looking into the source pin. These form a voltage divider for any residual -ve supply noise/ripple and that will be divided down to next nothing anyway.
So maybe an "overkill" but we don't mind "overkill" when it comes to power supply noise elimination.

Cheers,
Ian

EL34 Baby Huey AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!