• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier

The second LED will improve the current source behaviour, particularly at higher frequencies. That should improve the linearity of the diff amp / phase splitter.

Your estimate of approximately 35V bias on the KT77 meaning the diffamp must swing +/- 35V peak or 70V pk-pk is about right.

Just to be sure Ian, you have around -100V for the PI, two leds and R16 at 47 kOhm? So on a BH EL84 we should have around -35V and R16 at 15 kOhm.

Thanks in advance.

OK finally got back into my workshop with the BH. Here is the final tweaks report card.

Measurements before tweaks
B+ = 470V
B- = 105V
Bias on the KT77s is around -42 / -43 Volts for 40mA idle.
The V+ for the mosfet drain is +15.2

I had thought about fitting some 6550 in place of the KT77 but That B- is a bit low for either 6550 or KT88 so sticking with the KT77.

Did the 2nd red LED in place of R17 mod with R16 = 47K for approx 2mA LED current (For my B- of -105V).
This did improve the top end and remove that slight "muffledness" I noted earlier - RECOMMENDED.

I was using AC heaters and using the same single heater winding to feed the voltage doubler on the power supply board to derive that +15.2 volts for the mosfet drains.

I said earlier "no hum" - WRONG - there was some buzz at low level, but objectionable.
Fitted an extra 3VA power tranny to feed the voltage doubler so it was no longer fed from the heater supply, what I had on the shelf was a 9V secondary job so ended up with +22V for the mosfet drain supply, that is actually good.

Fitted 100 Ohm Psudo centre tap resistors to the heater supply and connected pseudo cntre tap to the +22V supply. That got rid of all my low level buzz/hum problems.

While I had it on the bench I soldered a 3M6 resistor across the 2M2 R8 on the power supply board (1M36 effective) to reduce the 555 delay on time to 57 seconds. I thought it was too long with just the 2M2. A 1M2 or 1M5 would be good for Power Supply Board R8.

Only job left now is to screw on the bottom cover. Happy with it.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Ian,

I've done a chart to calculate R17 value in your "R16 red led" mod:

Code:
B- [V]	R16          	R17 [kOhm]
15	red led    	5,8
20	red led    	8,3
25	red led    	10,8
30	red led    	13,3
35	red led    	15,8
40	red led    	18,3
45	red led    	20,8
50	red led    	23,3
55	red led    	25,8
60	red led    	28,3
65	red led    	30,8
70	red led    	33,3
75	red led    	35,8
80	red led    	38,3
85	red led    	40,8
90	red led    	43,3
95	red led    	45,8
100	red led    	48,3
105	red led    	50,8
110	red led    	53,3
115	red led    	55,8
120	red led    	58,3
125	red led    	60,8
130	red led    	63,3
135	red led    	65,8
140	red led    	68,3
145	red led    	70,8
150	red led    	73,3

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hello gingertube(Ian) and bandol83,

I have recently been gifted an old home amp that has some vintage Hammond iron. I have 2 of the Hammond 1626 Xfrmrs. I am inquiring if the data below makes them suitable for a 6V6 application like Ian has built. I am copying data from the 1974 Hammond catalouge.

AUDIO OUTPUT I TRANSFORMERS HAMMOND I 1600 SERIES - 10 Watt to 75 Watt Designed for Hi-Fi, Stereo or P.A. system applications (Tube circuits)..
Screen taps on 1626 (41 % of pri. turns); for ultra-linear operation if required.
Type 1626 - Frequency response 30 to 30 kHz (-1 dB ref 1 000 Hz minimum)

1626X, 20W, 6600 ct ohm P Imp., 80ma DC per side.

PS: I have 2 of the original BHEL34 pcb and most parts which will be used to build an higher power model.

I will be looking to purchase another set from prasi for the 6V6 if applicable or breakout my pcb design package and learn something. Either way are the above OPT good for the 6V6 or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for the help.

Myles

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Francois,

I have read the threads and read about the flexibility of what can be used to build variations of the BH. Thanks for the info about the 6L6 family. I am looking at data sheets, to see if I can get a handle on THD values. I think I have found that max plate dissipation for the tubes is about 19 watts, so should be safe with my 20 watt OPT's?. Some data sheets are telling me that THD will be about 15% in Class A while others are telling me that THD will be about 2% in Class A. I will have to sort that, before moving on.
Let me know if you have any data that might help. Triode 6L6 is low watts out and Pentode is higher around 10-12 watts out. Again need some help to decide. Open to ideas.

MM

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Zintolo,

Read through most of your threads, but could not find any reference to the OPT's that you used for your el34 build. I am assuming they are above 20W.

I get the feeling that since my Hammond 1626 OPT's are only 20W & 6.6k, I am severely restricted as to what I can build. I am only looking for 10W - 20W of output power. I am really looking for some good suggestions from builders that know a lot more about this than I do.

MM

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes! That’s why you can’t get EL34s at full tilt with your output transformers. Yes, that’s why I suggested to look at 6L6G. How many times do you need to hear it?

You could do BH EL84 somewhat compromised, like I mentioned before.

Last edited:
6v6gt or 6p6s an option as well, with a pentode/ul (Yves/Ian) switch, but I've always read that generally speaking the 6L6 family likes high loads to play better (10 kOhm and above).

Another option (to be checked) could be to connect a 8 Ohm speaker to the 4 Ohm tap and use it as 13.2 kOhm Raa with 6L6GC at 400 V to run in class A full time using the UL tap. You should have approximately 20 W in this configuration.

You can also mount an adaptor noval into octal and install an EL84 or equivalents. Mullard datasheet suggests 6.6 kOhm Raa for UL.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the info guys. So if I use the 6l6/7591 line, when I look up the tube data am I looking for pp triode or pp pentode data and am I looking for Class A operation or for Class AB1 operation. Very new to tubes and a lot of info to wrap ones head around.

One question also, do you plan for running tubes full tilt?. Say for example you have 2 tubes contributing 30W into a 20W Xfrmr, can the tubes run at 66% (lower voltage I assume) so as to not exceed the 20W and still sound good, or do you need to build for the higher power (hence better opt required).

Francois: I don't even know you, I only know of you through this thread. I know that you have been chastised before due to your rudeness on this forum. Please refrain from using " How many times do you have to be told", when replying to me. I am not a child and surely not one of your children.

MM

Dear Kokanee,

I would suggest you to do what I'm trying to do: read old books and learn little by little something more about tubes and how to improve their working conditions.

If you have a specific question, open a thread and wait for replies. If they don't come, try to find the answer yourself and ask if it's correct. Do not pretend an answer.

I have to say that, based on the netiquette, write in a thread asking off topic questions of personal interest IS considered rude. Do it three times in a raw makes it even ruder. It is not a matter of being some of someone or not.

That said, enjoy the DIY. :)

Thanks Zintolo,

Read through most of your threads, but could not find any reference to the OPT's that you used for your el34 build. I am assuming they are above 20W.

I get the feeling that since my Hammond 1626 OPT's are only 20W & 6.6k, I am severely restricted as to what I can build. I am only looking for 10W - 20W of output power. I am really looking for some good suggestions from builders that know a lot more about this than I do.

MM

Hi Myles,

With your OPT (1620) i would recommend a nice 6V6 push-pull.

See chart below from Hammond website.

BR
Eric

Attachments

• 79B4F249-4E60-41CE-8485-DC00480EB068.png
    79B4F249-4E60-41CE-8485-DC00480EB068.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 402