Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Is it a real Mullard?
Is it a real Mullard?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2018, 09:57 PM   #1
mdpaudio is offline mdpaudio
diyAudio Member

Default Is it a real Mullard?

Has anyone ever seen this labeling on a real Mullard 5ar4?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3AE3F0A5-5155-46E6-BDF5-3364D301DFF3.jpg (583.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpeg 86F59055-707F-40C7-8824-FE2D72570559.jpeg (954.4 KB, 248 views)
Old 8th August 2018, 11:03 PM   #2
HollowState is offline HollowState  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes it's real. The base is a little larger diameter then some others. The box is also a tiny bit larger square too.
They also show it in Vacuum Tube Valley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZ34s.JPG (125.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (552.6 KB, 212 views)
There cannot, and never will be, any progress in society, vis-a-vis racism, so long as the concept of celebrating Diversity -- in it's current, politically-correct, deliberate, punitively extractive form -- continues.

Last edited by HollowState; 8th August 2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 9th August 2018, 01:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That’s great news! It came in a HK A224 I bought a while back. It alone is worth the price I paid for the amp.
Would you rather use it or a vintage copper 5ar4 in a SE KT88 amp?
Old 9th August 2018, 03:40 AM   #4
HollowState is offline HollowState  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpaudio View Post
Would you rather use it or a vintage copper 5ar4 in a SE KT88 amp?
Damned if I know. They're all pretty much the same to me as long as they're NOS American or European. I don't have or use any Chinese or Russian tubes at all. The Chinese are unreliable and the Russkies are short lived, or so I am told. I do have a few dozen NOS 5AR4s from Amperex, Mullard, RCA, GE, Sylvania (big bottle) and perhaps others. But no metal base "Telles" or super rare types. It's absurd that some of these command such obscene prices that I paid a couple of bucks for thirty years ago. I guess it started when the Asians began buying up all the old tubes they could get their fat little hands on back in the eighties. That's about the time I began saving them up as well. And I'm glad I did.
There cannot, and never will be, any progress in society, vis-a-vis racism, so long as the concept of celebrating Diversity -- in it's current, politically-correct, deliberate, punitively extractive form -- continues.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thankfully I have four 5ar4s from the old days. They are obscenely expensive now. The new ones have let me down several times to the point of using diodes if it doesn’t warrant the expense of a real tube. Sad ain't it?
What do you recommend in 6 volt rectifiers?
Old 10th August 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
sony6060 is offline sony6060  United States
diyAudio Member

Use a UF4007 diode in series with the transformer HV AC output winding (two diodes) before the GZ34 plates. This will about double the PIV rating and then the Sovtek GZ34 performs well with most tube amps. It does not effect the sound either. You must use a fast diode such as the UF4007, not a 1N4007. The Sovtek GZ34 is reliable at lower voltages, just does not tolerate the higher side of voltages in some amplifiers like the vintage Mullard GZ34s.

Is it a real Mullard?Hide this!Advertise here!