• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oscillating Audio Innovations S500 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've got an Audio Innovations S500 in the workshop, one of many of these I've worked on. Nothing unusual in the layout therefore but this one has an oscillation /motorboating when the volume pot is turned up towards max. It only occurs when no source is connected and stops immediately a source is connected. The only unusual feature of this amp is that it was converted to triode mode at some point.

The design uses an ECC83 valve as the line input gain stage and was built without grid stopper resistors. The original circuit showed a 50pf cap between the grid and ground which this amp and no other example I've seen had. I've fitted the 50pf caps and 1k grid stopper resistors with no result whatsoever. If I remove the line input ECC83 the oscillation stops.

All electrolytics have been replaced which has also had no effect on this behaviour.

Anybody any suggestions before I get back to investigations next week?
Thanks
David

Last edited:
Is the 50pF connected directly to the ECC83 grid, or connected before the grid stopper resistor? I would not connect the grid directly to a cap to ground, that defeats the purpose of a grid stopper.

You may have a ground loop of some sort. "ground" is not always ground, things like 'lead inductance' gets in the way.

What was the original input tube, a pentode? Which one? In the original amplifier, was there a dominant pole (series RC) from the pentode plate to ground? For the modified amplifier (now triode input), if you did not re-adjust the dominant pole RC network, or took it out, the negative feedback may now be marginally be unstable.

Interestingly David Wright says on his Website "It may be 'good practice' to change the cathode resistors to a higher value when fitting Sovtek 5881/6L6GC WXT but it is not essential and it will cost money if done by a repair shop. Plugging and playing is perfectly fine”

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.