Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

This one is tempting!
This one is tempting!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 03:27 PM   #11
blue_luke is offline blue_luke  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lordoff

I just went on their site and they have interesting stuff.
The LL1663 is listed 145 USD, so once in canada with exchange and taxes etc... and shipping i guestimate approximately 500 CND!

This is getting a bit steep!
(I am now retired... lots of time on my hands, few dollars less available now! )

Surprisingly, Mouser have quite a good number of Hammond transformers in stock. I am looking at the 1650HA (6k ct /4-8-16 ohms sec, 40 watt) at almost 3 Kg, it is a rather serious item... 188$ plus federal tax, free shipping.
While I was there I also checked if they have guitar amps replacement transformers and they do have a few in stock.
There is also Next Gen Canada's #1 Parts Source For DIY Musicians - Next Gen Musical Ltd. which I think is in Guelph, free shipping on order over 200$

I will be looking into that further more in early August. Tomorrow I am leaving until july 29th for a trip in the maritimes provinces and Gaspesie. I am accompanying a choir on a tour, recording the concerts etc...
I will keep in touch but there is no 'bricolage' to be made while on the road!
Old 12th July 2018, 04:08 PM   #12
blue_luke is offline blue_luke  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is also ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

Anyone using these transformers?
Old 12th July 2018, 07:43 PM   #13
kward is offline kward  United States
diyAudio Member

ClassicTone would probably be better suited for a guitar amp, but then again, I have not tried them.

I've built two amps similar to the circuit shown in Claus Byrith's "4-10" white paper, but I didn't follow his schematic at all.

Both of my amps were stereo chassis builds with approx 400V B+. One used a 6DJ8 voltage gain stage, a 6FQ7 cathode coupled inverter, and EL34 outputs that were UL connected, Hammond 1650H output transformers, with 12 dB feedback. The other used a 12AX7 voltage gain stage, 6FQ7 cathode coupled inverter, and 6L6-oid outputs that were pentode connected, Hammond 1650H outputs, with 19 dB global feedback.

The 1650H is a decent transformer, but it likes only about 14 dB of global feedback before the amp gets difficult to tune. On the second amp with the 12AX7 input tube and 6L6-oid outputs, and I had to use a much more aggressive low pass step filter which pretty much negated the positive effects of feedback above 15 KHz as evidenced by the distortion rising significantly in this region on that amp.

On the other hand, low end response on the Hammonds is exceptional. Other positives about the Hammonds is they are very consistent performers and I've never had one mis-wired from the factory (cant' say that about other manufacturers in this price category).

Regardless of those shortcomings, both amps sound pretty good overall with the EL-34 amp measuring a bit better on the bench, but neither amp is the last word on performance or resolution, being limited by those output transformers. You need to spend a fair amount more money to get better performance, in new production iron.

I'd love to try the Lundahl's. But never felt I wanted to fork out the money for the experiment.

This one is tempting!Hide this!Advertise here!