• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st share, longer time lurker. Love DIY-audio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for fast responses!! I want to block any low level DC between my DACs and my amps. So, very low Voltage, and a very small amount. I store music on computer, bypass the sound card with outboard DACs (with no upsampling), and that's my source for music. Yeah, a computer and DAC are sand gear sources, but my tube amps are what I want to provide the cleanest music to. Some people are using Peerless, UTC, or Altec 600-600 transformers. Thank you for your time! Robert

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Try it.

In that the tube amp input is *probably* over 10K, it "should work".

OTOH you pay big money for a GOOD transformer.

And as said, the transformer does not like eating DC.

Why is there residual DC out of the DAC?? Fix the problem, don't bandage.

Joined 2011
I want to block any low level DC between my DACs and my amps.
So, very low Voltage, and a very small amount.

If your tube amp has a direct coupled input, it still could handle a small amount of DC
without using a transformer or blocking capacitor. Under say 100mV should work ok.
Depends on the circuit though, which amp is it?

Last edited:
Transformer 10,000 - 10-000 Ohms etc

Work stole my attention for a couple of days, but thank you all very much for your responses and time. I appreciate the capacitor answer too. They are Edcors, and at the lower price range, (got them on my shelf). I'm guessing some folks like the idea of a low pass filter vs a high pass filter in this respect. It may affect that AC music signal. :cool:Cleaning up small residual DC from DAC outputs is the aim. However buying expensive UTCs and such got my attention, although I've never used such between my Teac DACs and Altec EL34 amps, nor noticed hum. Thanks again nice people! Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.