• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suggest me diy tube amp for my AKG K712 Pro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have an AKG 712 Pro pair of headphones and I read everywhere that the only way to take the best sound out of this phones is to have an amp so I decide in addition to buy one to build a tube one so can you suggest me a good tube amp that combined (if anyone knows) better with my AKG?

Thanks for your time,
Nick

Rated impedance of the AKG L712 Pro is 62 ohms.

Sensitivity is stated as 105dB with 1V input (it doesn't say rms or peak, so I'll assume rms).

1V into 62 ohms = 16mW
Max input power is 200mW

How loud do you think you need these to go? 110dB max peak output level? If yes, then figure it takes double the output power to gain 3dB of SPL, and you want +5dB SPL from 105dB.

If it takes 16mW to make 105dB SPL, then 32mW = 108dB, 64mW = 111dB.

So you need your amp to make a clean 64mW into a 62 ohm load.

64mW into 62 ohms = 2V rms

2^2 = 4
4/62 = 0.0645 watts (64.5mW)

You need an amp that can deliver a clean 2V rms (2.83V peak) into a 62 ohm load.

The rest is up to your taste, choice. Single-ended triode, with transformer/without transformer, all tubes, tube/solid-state hybrid, solid-state, etc.

First of all thanks you everyone for your time,

I’ll check the artosalo, then when I say about suggestion it’s my mistake that Im not be completely clear I mean(from the sound side) not the watt (of course it’s electrical too)but I’m more about the sound then in my opinion this pair from its nature is more bass so I want to give more emphasis (with the amp) to mid and highs (if that’s possible) after that I have never work with tubes so that’s the reason that I don’t know which diy project to choose because if I understand correctly the tubes (from it’s nature) it gives more emphasis to low (the warmer sound that everyone said) so that’s why I need your suggestions if you feel from your experience that some of those diy amps works better with AKG :)

Thanks for your time,
Nick

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The warmth isn't so much the low as it is the harmonic spectrum. Many people like a particular sound commonly obtained with a tube circuit but that's only the design and doesn't necessarily have to be so with every tube amp.

When you describe the sound you're looking for my first thought for an amp that might do nicely is something with a 10Y, not because it's needed, and it most certainly won't be your simplest or cheapest (!) option , but because circuits using that tube tend to have that sonic character (though with good tight bass as well).

Otherwise, there are lots of possibilities. 6DN7, 4P1L , . . . . .

Personally, If I were starting out for the first build, I'd look for a well documented kit or a design that is well supported with a forum to help you troubleshoot and speed up your learning.

If you start building and enjoy it then it's likely it won't be the only thing you make anyway and you can forget about the idea of making the best amp in the world in the first go. As you know, tastes vary, and even if you build something that 90% of a certain crowd thinks is awesome, you might find yourself belonging to a group of 43% of another group that thinks it not worth listening to.

With that in mind, if you think you might enjoy making and learning , I'd recommend you start out simple, inexpensive and educationally supported, and if possible , something that makes a conveinient platform for experimenting with different tubes and sub-circuits.

So, how about this ?

Joined 2008
I have designed for a friend a 14Kohm output transformer for 4P1L SE to be used with the AGK K550 that has a similar character (i.e. sloping down frequency response). I remember that the rest of the amp had an ECC83 as input/driver tube and used some feedback. Approx. 0.5W with very low distortion.

The K500 is 32R but the transformer can be easily changed to 64R secondary. Also the circuit was quite simple with DC coupling between 1/2ECC83 and 4P1L with one single voltage supply of about 400V. If no feedback a lower gain input tube can be used.

Look the circut in attach
It is running fine.
it is easy to build and the OT can be used for almost the totality of headphone.
In every case the power supply must be with lowest ripple possible so the regulated voltage is required

Walter

Attachments

• Fig.1_EL84_ampli_cuffie.bmp
    79.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Fig3_EL84_Alim_HT_Stab.bmp
    90.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I use this and I love it. Cheap and cheerful, too.

Attachments

• Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    Aikido-6N5P6N6P-32-ohm-Headphone.-1.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.