Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

EAR 834P mod - help identifying components
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2018, 09:46 AM   #31
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default EAR 834P mod - help identifying components

Can you clean up what you have and post?

220k may be reduced to account for the JFET?

There’s a difference between cheap and stupid. There’s a reason for it.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 26th July 2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 26th July 2018, 11:29 AM   #32
Herr Grau is offline Herr Grau  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Herr Grau
I'll post it as soon as I get home and have a minute. I'm certain there's a reason for the reduction of the load resistor to 220K. But I don't think there is one for constructing it of 6 cheap smaller MFRs except "practical reasons".
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:35 PM   #33
Herr Grau is offline Herr Grau  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Herr Grau
Here's what I have. The part between V2 and V3 and the RIAA are obviously already changed to the modded version, as are the PSU capacitors and their bypass. I didn't bother to change any of it back, because the board is true to the original schematic there (first page, first post). The main thing is the input stage, and this I think is halfway acurate. The one resistor I couldnt properly identify by the color codes and also readings on the meter changed towards bigger values. Maybe it's 330k, maybe it 440k, maybe its even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bDR0wx.jpg (131.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:22 PM   #34
hottattoo is offline hottattoo  United States
diyAudio Member

IIRC check out GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site. This is Romy the cat's site and look up "end of life phono stage" i believe he modded an EAR unit to max performance. Perhaps you can find some good info.
Old 8th August 2018, 10:51 PM   #35
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The JFET should not be critical(*). Most any JFET will give a noise-figure at 1mA lower than the 2.2K source resistor, which is not large compared to the pickup noise impedance. 2.2K will also swamp-out JFET transconductance variation. I'd just use the same type and lot for both side of a stereo.

(*) That last plan can not be right. Assuming high voltage supply (over 70V), it runs the JFET at half the supply voltage. So for 200V supply, 100V, across a device rarely rated much over 35V. A 330K:68K divider might be OK for lower B+. 330K:33K may be even safer. There's no reason for more than a few volts across the FET.

EAR 834P mod - help identifying componentsHide this!Advertise here!