• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best moderate price interstage transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of all the uses I have press-ganged power toroidals transformers into - Interstage duty was by far the least successful. Massively to high interwinding capacitance to allow decent hi-freq performance. Could possibly work if some form of powerdrive were used to drive the Toroidal.
I can guarantee that EI's will be totally unusable.

Shoog

The best interstage transformer is an LTP ;)

Edit: To add content, an LTP isn't really much more complicated than a transformer (though the simplicity may appeal), but has a bandwidth advantage (at both extremes) and distortion advantage.

To add, arguably a transformer is actually a lot more complicated than active phase splitting (if the aim is "purity"). If more people actually knew of all the sectioning and interleaving inside a decent audio bandwidth transformer as well as their ugly behaviour at the extremes, the "purist" approach may be active ;)

the Hammond 124F wit 6CG7 differential stage :
input hammond 560Q 1:1 to 6CG7 +B300V 23mA RK220ohm
124F both secondary paralleled on10Kohm
=1Vinput// output //11V 0.02% thd
=1.5Vinput//17.7V 0.05%thd
2.5V input//29.5V 0.17%thd
with 6N6P you can reach 0.01%thd but lower gain 1Vin/8.7Vout
edit
i'm not sure if test was on paralleled secondary or one secondary only
but you can read:
1v/11+11V
1.5V/17.7+17.7V
2.5V in/29.5+29.5V out 0.17%

Last edited:
I would use an input bridging transformer to split the phase, such as Jensen, Peerless, UTC, etc... You get balance input and not have to deal with DC on the primary, which makes it much less technically demanding to make, and you get perfect phase splitting for push-pull. And it's cheaper than an interstage transformer.

mashaffer ask for " interstage phase splitting transformer" not for cap coupling directdriver input bridging transformer like 560Q hammond its required for double triode to drive correctly interstage phase splitting transformer the goal its no anode resistors no coupling caps only one cathode resistor or negative bias

Attachments

• Clipboard01-5.jpg
    Clipboard01-5.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,086
input 560Q 10K 1:1 really good 42euro 124F 45euros its good for low power PP like 2A3, i will soon build stereo amp by thems it can also drive two 2A3 follow by bigger IT(lundhal or better sowter) for 845/GM70 etc PP i see in high fidelity commercial amp SE 6E6P-E triode mode driving 2A3PP by 124B interstage, also very good splitter even if 1:3 but no DC IT

Under their "Pro Sound" category, Edcor has a number of "audio matchers" for line level work. The specs (if true) looks promising. These are US made I believe. One example is the WSM series at 1/2W, 20-20kHz <1dBu. The best part is they're under $12 for WSM. If I were looking for an interstage transformer solution, I'd test some of these. There are other series too, such as WXM and XSM. Lots or different ratios too.

pblix Edcor not available in France and these are low impedance line transformers for OP and transistors for tubes need high impedance transformers and i like metal can or at list potted for input transformers for first stage double triode plate to plate you have Hammond 124F,15Khom/15Kohm 5Watt with 20mA with GE 6CG7 swing 60V 0.1 %THD very linear factory test 120V 10mA very hard to find cheaper, just i like if hammond can built 20Watt or more 1:1 15KCT IT for 2A3 plates to 845 etc grids waiting budget for Sowter 9083 9083 INTERSTAGE PUSH PULL DRIVE check pg 46 UTC 1963 catalog, LS-47 20Watts for 2A3PP plates driver and LS-48 40Watts 845PP plates to 805 grids!!!

Attachments

• 124F.pdf
    194.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
there its no data on impedance, need 10-15KCT/10-15K CT!!!!! these are low +- 600ohms sound very very bad

EDIT sorry i see 10/15K ohm available so OK for input ligne to grids 0.5Watts only !!! few mA !!!! for interstage need 5watts or much more for drivers triodes plates like these Edcor also hammond make145 series 3/5mA and from 2K8 to 20K ohm cost 15 euros like edcor Transformateurs audio pour montage sur chassis (143-146 Series) - Hammond Mfg. i made 76 driving 6A6 in class B PP with IT hammond 145R i like Wurlitzer sound

Attachments

• P1090272.JPG
    P1090272.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 548
  • P1090262.JPG
    P1090262.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
You are once again imposing restrictions that the OP never mentioned. I'm glad to see you finally took a look at the spec. As I said, the Edcors are conservatively rated and would work as interstage transformers in tube circuits within their limitations. Probably equal or better than the Hammonds up to 3-4W.

The only transformer product that I know that can both phase split and act as an interstage driver, at the same time, is the Lundahl 1660 and it's kin. This is not cheap for a reason, even to meet the technical requirements of both duties it requires multiple windings, managing capacitance, and a big enough core to deal with the signal levels involved. I'd simply suck it up and save your pennies and buy this part - if you need to BOTH phase split and drive a PP stage at the same time. You will have to work withing a narrow window of driver tube parameters that can stay within the current capability of the core and the impedance of the transformer.

Other than that, there are many low cost options for an input phase splitter. The more signal level - the bigger the part - and the more you will pay. You can find alot of +20dbM input transformers for under $100. Here is a superlative value (and example!) EDCOR - XS1100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.