Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

+150V DC Vacuum Tube Regulated Power Supply?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2018, 03:20 PM   #11
kward is offline kward  United States
diyAudio Member

Also don't forget to bias up your pass tube filaments to the output voltage.

I think I would also consider biasing up the 6SL7 filaments. Since the pass tube filament circuit is biased at a different voltage than the 6SL7 filament circuit, it means needing separate filament secondaries. You might be able to "split the difference" so both heater-cathode voltage specs for both tube types are within tolerance, but I think that's a short cut measure. I would use separate filament circuits and bias each independently.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:31 PM   #12
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll make no bones about it: I like “sand-state” regulators for the simplicity of not having to deal with a significantly “raised cathode”. And the fact that unless they're thermally and/or electrically abused, they'll basically never “give up the ghost”.

Emitter follower (per Sodacose) or source followers (MOSFET, same service) do the job well. It is often a decent idea to have a back flow diode across the sand-state device so that if (like when "turning it off") there's more B+ on the output side than on the power transformer side, there is a way to safely bleed off the reversed potential.
Spend a nickel, save a buck.
Also, if you're willing to have a couple of sandy crystals working for you, then you can also implement either a slow-turn-on reference voltage, or a simple RC+transistor comparator delay of 15 seconds or so; makes for nice for the downwind vacuum tube amplifier.

Contrary to the advise of […] I prefer choosing higher henries than lower DC resistance when choosing random chokes for power supply purposes from my parts box. IF the power dissipation is within reason. Remember your friend: P = IR, so with a DC resistance of 141 Ω, a pass current of 110 mA (your numbers), then
P = IR
P = 0.11 A 141 Ω
P → 1.7 W

E = IR
E = 0.11 A 141 Ω
E → 15.5 volts
Not exactly an egg-fryer in dissipation! And the DC voltage drop is only 15.5 volts. Being “before the regulator”, the voltage drop is a GOOD thing. For Free.

Gotta run.
Goats to milk!
Cheese to make!

GoatGuy
Old 25th May 2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

150V was a standard voltage for military equipment so you'll find a few such regulators in the NAVAER handbook of preferred circuits Part 1
Handbook Preferred Circuits Navy Aeronautical Electronic Equipment : National Bureau of Standards : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Old 25th May 2018, 06:41 PM   #14
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I guess I'm old fashioned, I use non regulated power with more than 2200uF of capacity Gives a solid 150VDC from a 120V transformer.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:04 PM   #15
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacose View Post
Here's a simple hybrid that I did recently with 0D3 and a MOSFET:

Attachment 683054

You'd still have sockets left over. Maybe use a tube rectifier or a couple damper diodes to use them up. Or build the above for each channel?

edit: IRF820 was what I used, I think. Ignore the transistor symbol.
Yes, I'd use two of these, one per channel. I have plenty of IRF820 and IRF840. I even have a few heatsinks. Two 0D3s glowing would be doubly fun. They also don't make heat, which is a plus. I'd still have room for a 5V4 rectifier or something like that, if I really needed to fill that last octal socket. But I don't, really.

I also have a couple of vintage 500VCT 150mA transformers with 6.3V winding (but no 5V winding). I could use a choke input filter and get about +215VDC raw B+, then use this source follower-plus-0D3 after that, right? Okay, some questions about this:

- How much ripple rejection should I see from this circuit? If I set it up with +215VDC at the input with a 1.414VAC 120Hz sine wave riding on the DC. I see +145VDC at the output, but with only about -20dB of attenuation of that 120Hz sine wave. It does perform some voltage stabilization; it keeps the output voltage within +/-1VDC as the input voltage is varied +/-20VDC.

- This is with the IRF820 dissipating 3.5 watts, so a heatsink will be required. [Edit: It's labeled "Pdiss" on the schematic, but of course that should be Ddiss. Was thinking tubes again. Oops.]

Does this attached schematic look right?
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
150V was a standard voltage for military equipment so you'll find a few such regulators in the NAVAER handbook of preferred circuits Part 1
Handbook Preferred Circuits Navy Aeronautical Electronic Equipment : National Bureau of Standards : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Hey Merlin! That's very helpful indeed. Preferred Circuit No. 1 fills the bill. The only problem is the need for that negative supply. I guess I can figure something out. Thanks for this; I'll be looking into it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Junkbox_IRF820-0D3_voltage_stabilizer_00.png (16.1 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by rongon; 25th May 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 25th May 2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Sodacose is offline Sodacose  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks correct! You might add protective zener to the source/gate or diode across the FET like GoatGuy mentioned, but what you have works.

The ripple rejection on this isn't as good as a feedback regulator like the series/pass ones earlier in the thread. Maybe a CCS feeding the VR is worth a sim?
Old 25th May 2018, 08:12 PM   #17
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Would the CCS replace R2 (4.7k 5W) in the schematic?
(Edit: If you meant just replace the whole thing with a series CCS and shunt 0D3, then no, that doesn't work nearly as well. Much higher levels of pwr supply ripple pass through.)

Last edited by rongon; 25th May 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 25th May 2018, 08:16 PM   #18
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's circuit I'd use, incorporating the advice, and showing markedly improved ripple rejection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IFR-820-regulator-150-VDC.jpg (54.7 KB, 237 views)
Old 25th May 2018, 08:30 PM   #19
Lingwendil is online now Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacose View Post
Here's a simple hybrid that I did recently with 0D3 and a MOSFET:

Attachment 683054
Since these types of circuits work so well, I decided to work up a PCB with the option to run a stack of six Zener diodes as a voltage reference, and a pot/resistor in series across them for some voltage adjustment functionality. I've breadboard six so far, and wanted a nice board to be able to have them easily lashed up for future builds. I'm even working on a negative version. Assuming you used six 51 volt Zeners (like the 1N5262) you get just around ~300 volts out with an IRF820. Could easily run wire off board to a VR tube to use as a reference

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's still a rough draft, but if anyone has anything to suggest, go ahead and swing by my flea amp thread and let me know what you think. I'm wanting them to be a nice option for the DIY community.

(Note- I'm not actively selling anything at this time, simply throwing out the idea, and taking suggestions for anyone who has something constructive to add!)

Also, GoatGuy, check your PM inbox lol
Old 25th May 2018, 08:34 PM   #20
Sodacose is offline Sodacose  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
Would the CCS replace R2 (4.7k 5W) in the schematic?
(Edit: If you meant just replace the whole thing with a series CCS and shunt 0D3, then no, that doesn't work nearly as well. Much higher levels of pwr supply ripple pass through.)
Right, I was referring to replacing R2 but maintaining the MOSFET pass device.

Lingwendil's board looks good too. I recently made some boards that use an LR8 in place of the zener string (yet to stuff and test though). Only problem is these don't glow

+150V DC Vacuum Tube Regulated Power Supply?Hide this!Advertise here!