Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)

I'm 41 years old, I have 2 kids running havoc, and my ears are probably ruined by the festivals I've been to. The only alone-time I get is in the evening, while my wife and/or kids are in the living room and I'm in the kitchen listening to music while reading up on diy audio.com I've moved my diy speakers to the living room, and I'm planning on buying sonus Faber venere 2.5 speakers for "my" kitchen.

I want an amplifier to match them that sounds good, but even better - it should look good I'm considering Chinese tube amps. Does anybody have a suggestion for an amplifier that balances HiFi quality and looks? (800 euros tops?)

Last edited by Pygmy; 7th April 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 7th April 2018, 11:52 PM   #2
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do you just want suggestions? It's actually a fairly vague request, as aesthetics are a high priority design goal in just about in any mass market audio device nowadays, and especially Chinese audio gear.
Prove all things 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Old 8th April 2018, 12:15 AM   #3
jfetter is offline jfetter  United States
diyAudio Member

No anger , we all have that hunger for tubes. Its in our primordial genetic makeup. There is just something mysterious about those electrons flying through space and time in the aether.

I started out with a Dynaco st70 from ebay. You can use the pc sound card or find a preamp on ebay. It also depends on your budget. And they can be high maintenance too. So there is a cost consideration.
Old 8th April 2018, 12:55 AM   #4
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Cost…

I wanted a steak yesterday; its been a long time. Imagining an 18 oz chunk of prime Angus, nicely blackened, rare-to-medium-rare in the center. Horseradish. Ridiculous smoked Carolina pepper sauce. A baked potato, a rasher of carrots. Forget the greens - that's for pikers.

I went to the store.
I found a prime ribeye. It was … exactly 19 oz.
So… I bought it.

Now, today, its gone.
And I want another one.

THIS IS THE COST of maintaining a great sound system.

GoatGuy
Old 8th April 2018, 01:08 AM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have one in my basement that fits the bill… but it is 110V and weighing a ton would cost an arm & a leg to ship. Grant Fidelity RITA.

dave
Old 8th April 2018, 02:31 AM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suggest building your own and making it pretty.

Tom
Old 8th April 2018, 03:46 AM   #7
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread 😊

~800 Euros and tubes and aesthetics to me equals waiting for a nice price on a used Copland. Looks like the Cello gear that goes for many times that.

There’s a CTA-401 on fleabay right now for 933 euros, located in Switzerland. It’s a steal at that price. I’d bump your budget and score that and never look back. It’s an integrated, so you won’t need to spring for a separate preamp.
Old 8th April 2018, 03:51 AM   #8
jfetter is offline jfetter  United States
diyAudio Member

Possible a nice tube headphone amp? Cost less, get some Grados 100-200 euros. Amlifier maybe 400 euro. Grados are open back so you are not completely shut off from surroundings.
Old 8th April 2018, 04:03 AM   #9
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Read the OP. He wants to drive certain speakers already in his possession.
Old 8th April 2018, 05:02 AM   #10
ColinA123 is offline ColinA123  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My personal opinion. Don't buy a Chinese amplifier unless you have enough knowledge to fix it if (or when) it goes wrong. Or you have a local repair place. Support and repair usually means shipping it back to the supplier at your expense. Just my thoughts based on having an 845 amp go up in flames!

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)Hide this!Advertise here!