Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2018, 07:50 AM   #41
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

for 800 USD, building it yourself is the only route. I really doubt you can find a ready made one, worth the money, except if it's really old, and you get lucky...
Old 12th April 2018, 09:11 AM   #42
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

These could look pretty cool after a bit of cleaning and sprucing up:
dynatron lf15, valve amplifiers vintage el84 pp10 watt , | eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (109.8 KB, 152 views)
Old 16th April 2018, 02:18 PM   #43
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
WAF. The most critical value in any audio project!
diyAudio Member

The description on this one made me laugh:

"looks great....even in the midst of the swankiest cocktail party."

Bluetooth 4.0 HIFI 2.1 Tube Power Amplifier 200W USB SD Microphone Subwoofer AMP | eBay
Old 16th April 2018, 04:00 PM   #44
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Stay far, far away from the inexpensive Chinese amps. There are plenty of posts on here about most of the popular ones, and they typically make less than half of their rated power with high THD and poor bandwidth.

The last Chinese amp I had on the bench was marketed as being "designed in the USA and manufactured in Hong Kong" and featured UL EL34s, only a few dB of feedback, and 45W at 5% THD. It was too good to be true! It also made 3.5W at 5% THD, so not even 10% of its rated power. Very little feedback was used because the transformers were such crap that using 15-20dB of feedback would've made the amp into an oscillator.

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)Hide this!Advertise here!