Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2018, 04:01 PM   #21
andyjevans is offline andyjevans  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah right! Thanks for that. Now it makes sense. I just saw dollar signs and didn't look further.
Old 9th April 2018, 06:10 PM   #22
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My 2 cent. Nobsound ms-10d hybrid tube amp(€145,-). Last year i got one for my daughter to play on her dynaudio audience speakers. And i was suprised about the great sound. And if you are lucky you do not have to pay import tax because shipment is possible from germany. Or look for Yaqin amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.JPG (114.4 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.JPG (529.4 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Koifarm; 9th April 2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:04 PM   #23
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread 😊

The copland CTA-401 I suggested retailed for 5k, going for 900 Euro. Uses EL-34s for 30W / channel in ultralinear. I’m sure you could look into other tubes for extra watts but I don’t think you’ll need them. I’d think the SF’s would sing with that kind of power.

I imagine Switzerland to Holland doesn’t result in import duties? I am in US, but was trying to consider a good European option.

It’s assembled by MIL contractors and it shows. I’ve used the CSA-14 and love it. Really beautiful and meticulously assembled.

IMG_8905.JPG

COPLAND CTA401

The Chinese stuff can be a never ending headache. Not worth it in my mind, and doesn’t fit criteria of aesthetically pleasing at least from my perspective.

I share your appreciation for the Sonus Faber approach and think it would match well. Speaking for myself; I couldn’t build anything nearly as nice or versatile for that ticket price. I don’t have any personal stock in this recommendation, it’s simply “what I would do”.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 9th April 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:41 PM   #24
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I suggest building your own and making it pretty.
+1

Here's how I did it (in German, but you can just look at the photos). Aesthetics is a very personal thing, so... up to you!

Don't go the Chinese kit route. My experience with them is that they tend blow up and then they don't look pretty anymore.
Old 10th April 2018, 04:43 AM   #25
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Lovely work! I’m still a ways out from realizing something that nice.
Old 10th April 2018, 11:06 AM   #26
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Lovely work! Iím still a ways out from realizing something that nice.
It's not that difficult. I talked to my neighbour who is a carpenter and did the wood working for me. The top plate is from Schaeffer.
Old 10th April 2018, 03:42 PM   #27
jamesdb is offline jamesdb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Monoprice.con EL84 Tube Amp

Hi Pygmy, consider this EL84 tube amp from Monoprice.com, it looks pretty nice. They have several versions available, one all tube, some are hybrid. Plus it is on SALE right now so that can make up for the shipping cost.
"Pure Tube Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth, Line, and Phono Inputs" Pure Tube Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth, Line, and Phono Inputs - Monoprice.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monoprice_EL84_tube_amp.jpg (113.4 KB, 173 views)
Old 10th April 2018, 03:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Nobsound has the same amps as monoprice but shipped from germany.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:11 PM   #29
famousmockingbird is offline famousmockingbird  United States
diyAudio Member

Nobsound isn't a tube amp, it's a transistor amp with tubes for looks.
Old 10th April 2018, 06:43 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Get your facts straight and do not copy everything from the net. I have nobsound ms-10d and it is an hybrid with tubes in the buffer stage. The el34 and kt88 are all tube amps.

It sounds really good. And i can compare with 813SE amp, 300bSE amp, Hypex UCD400, Hypex Ncore400, Hypex Ncore500, Sure electronics Tamp 2x400w all at the moment at home.
Had a lot of other amps in the past. For € 145 it is very great value for the money.

Last edited by Koifarm; 10th April 2018 at 06:52 PM.

I want a tube amp that looks good, and sounds okay. Get angry at me in this thread :)Hide this!Advertise here!