• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speakers for Allen Wright's amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built versions of Allen's FVP5A pre-amp and PP1C/2C power amps. His contribution to the forums was a great resource and he had plenty to say about the design and development of his circuits.
Anyway, what I'm interested in now is his thoughts on good speakers for his amps and what he actually used and why. I've done the usual web searches but come up with nada.
So if anyone knows anything or can point me somewhere I would be mucho grateful. Or just throw in opinions or anecdotes in place of real information :)

In the early eighties I spent some time with someone who had links to Allen and he was all about imaging and dynamics (think Hadcock arms/Decca cartidges and 6 to 8 inch full range drivers). The shop Allen had in Wentworth street felt similar.

There may well have been contemporary Quad ESLs but I don't remember them. He did at one point have a pair of stacked 57's driven by a worked over Radford STA15. I don't think he was very fond of the more obvious Quad II, finding them a bit grey/anaemic. I'm not sure what the story was with the 57s, it meant he could pitch himself as the only place in town with stacked Quads but they were a bit tired and I suspect he did not plan to keep them long term.

Over a few years he had a number of different amps/speakers, if only because he was doing repairs/mods but a common thread was Accoustats, I think he kept finding something different to like in each model. He may also briefly had Stax F81s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.