• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From years back
First test of the build with problems of hum but sound...:)

Attachments

• Foto0058.jpg
    Foto0058.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 179
Dutch suppliers.

Heres my 2 cents when it comes to suppliers or where to source parts, the cheapest way is to go to one of the swap meets, or know someone who has thousands of tubes (trust me the average collector has 2000+ and wont mind parting with some)

Tubes themselves or even sockets are rarely the problem, the real money is in HV filter capacitors and (output)transformers/enclosures.

Dutch suppliers

• Jukebox revival in Etten-Leur, carries Hammond chassis, tubes and transformers. One stop shopping. Bought there several times and everything was perfect each time. Cheap when it comes to Chinese sockets and capacitors.

• AE in Schagen (Transformers are kind of pricey) also carries parts and wire.

• Radio Service Twente (have never been there, supposed to carry a lot of stuff)

• Dickbest (Now EEO) Amsterdam carries capacitors and sockets perfect delivery if you need resistors and capacitors this is perhaps the best place to get them.
  • Fustica (Weerstanden) carries some carbon composites and tubes.
  • Electrontubes.nl serves mostly the vintage radio community, also carries audio types and sockets decent prices.
Germany ,Switzerland.

• BTB Elektronik Largest European tube supplier, also carries transformers, enclosures and parts. Pricey NOS tubes, decent prices on current production tubes.

• Jacmusic, NOS tubes and high quality sockets/capacitors Lundahl transformers.
Rest of EuropeThere is also the Polish transformers available through TME Cheap and pretty much the best bang for the buck.

Swapmeets/hamfests. These are the ones i know of.

• There are also the yearly Veron Radioamateur vlooienmarkt in the Autotron Rosmalen.
  • NVHR Ruilbeurs, a lot of old radio related stuff also T&M equiptment, members only i think (Driebergen)
  • De lichtmis.

When it comes to complete kits, PCL82/86 SE is likely going to be the cheapest option. PL84 PP is also an option. Another would be to start with a line level amplifier with perhaps a solid state output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.