Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?
First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2018, 10:34 PM   #11
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper996 View Post
Nice. Does this come with an instruction note printed in bold on how I do not kill myself during assembly?
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:44 PM   #12
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
Nice. Does this come with an instruction note printed in bold on how I do not
kill myself during assembly?
Probably just a schematic.
Old 8th March 2018, 12:53 PM   #13
kylej1050 is offline kylej1050  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
Nice. Does this come with an instruction note printed in bold on how I do not kill myself during assembly?
If you connect ground to your chassis I can't think of a way you'd kill yourself with a tube amp build. Obliterate some components? Sure.

If you ever find yourself probing around the chassis while it is running remember to keep a hand behind your back to avoid B+ to ground through you. For live probes I tend to use clips so I don't have to hold anything.

If you are reaaaaally worried about it there are low-voltage solid state buffered tube amp kits you can buy for under $20. They use the 6J1 or 6J5 tubes.
Old 8th March 2018, 01:04 PM   #14
e_fortier is offline e_fortier  Canada
diyAudio Member

For complete kit look into the company “Oddwatt”

Eric
Old 12th March 2018, 06:57 PM   #15
cgnman59 is offline cgnman59  United States
diyAudio Member

I second Oddwatt. I built their Alpha which is a 1 watt amp using a 6GV8 tube for each channel. It sounds surprisingly good. Everything is included. About all you need to supply is a good soldering iron, solder and then glue for the poplar wood base. After going through their checklist to ensure all was correctly soldered and set up, I ran audio through with no problems. I've just been listening to music through it for over a year now. I run a turntable and have my Klipsch KG3.5 speakers hooked up to it. It makes a great first project with a high probability for success. Documentation is excellent and if you have a question Bruce at Oddwatt is quick to respond to emails.
Old 24th March 2018, 04:44 PM   #16
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?

Transcendent Sound makes some nice kits with very good documentation with safety procedures and so on. Bruce from transcendent sound is also the author of some good introductory books on tube amps and designs.

Bottlehead is another good option, as well as Tubelab and Oddwatt which were already mentioned.

Some sell kits or boards assuming you have a preexisting background, at your own risk but some out there are quite sympathetic to the novice as well. After all, we all began as novices at some point.

Between the companies I mentioned you should be able to easily find something that suits your needs.

Be sure to tell them your speaker sensitivity and ancillary equipment so they can recommend you the most suitable option.

This is a good option for ~4W. Requires minimal fiddling- set it and forget it. OTLís also cut one of the pricier parts of the builds out- OTs. Some swear by their sound as well.

Mini Beast

However for a novice on a budget why not try a DIY Pass solid state design? With these tube designs the output transformers as well as output tube replacements can be quite expensive. On a budget can mean different things for different people, but this can be $400-500 in transformers and tubes alone, not including the boards and other parts and chassis.

If you are set on tubes id encourage you to choose a design which incorporates tubes that donít have a huge following of guitar players or audionuts driving up NOS quality tube prices.... pick something off the radar.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 24th March 2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 26th March 2018, 05:27 AM   #17
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post

If you are set on tubes id encourage you to choose a design which incorporates tubes that donít have a huge following of guitar players or audionuts driving up NOS quality tube prices.... pick something off the radar.
On the flip side, 6L6s and EL34s are super common, and I'd be surprised if they became expensive and rare in 10 years. When I was choosing my design one of my criteria was to use a popular tube that will likely always be available. Just another way of looking at this.
Old 26th March 2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Bangla H is offline Bangla H  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Pygmy.
Could this be possible safe enough to build.
PCL86 Verstaerker Beschreibung
There are any other projects from Hans, take a look.
Aktually is running the little PCL86 here, with steps modified....after years of building,
finally.
Now i enjoy how it sounds, only slightly from powertransformer.
Here a source for needed Transformer and others..
Frag Jan zuerst- Ask Jan first: Roehren und mehr
Old 26th March 2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Bangla, as it's in german it's not clear to me whether this is sold as a complete kit or whether I should try to figure out myself what's needed and how to put it together.
Old 26th March 2018, 02:46 PM   #20
dovla is offline dovla
diyAudio Member

Default Kits from Italy

You have these nicely priced kits from Italy (shipping to the rest of EU)

PCL86 kit is only EUR 140 with all the parts included and it'd be an excellent way to learn

Kit per S.E. stereo di PCL86 - Amplificatori valvolari e kit

Kit componenti per S.E. stereo con EL34 o KT88 - Amplificatori valvolari e kit

First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?Hide this!Advertise here!