• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ebay preamp kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I 2nd the notion of avoiding Chinese guano off of Ebone.

Glenn, what is the goal you have in mind? Do you want to drive long cables or a low I/P impedance amp? A correctly functioning buffer will do that. OTOH, are you after an effects machine? Euphony may be pleasing, but it's not HIFI.

I'm not sure everything from China is bad but if they don't have a schematic of the circuit you should probably pass.

That being said, it looks like the second link has a schematic, you may have better luck posting a copy and asking for feedback on the design.

First link simply states "grounded grid" with no real details. A grounded grid can be a tricky to use design, depending on implementation...

That second link has a schematic included, and appears to be cascaded gain stages, feeding into white cathode followers.

Third link is a copy of the Marantz 7, which is basicalliy cascaded gain stages feeding a cathode follower.

Unless building a phono stage or maybe repurposing them for something for instrument amplification I would pass on all of those. The second two will give much too high of gain if what you want is a buffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.