Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

transformer based phase splitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2018, 04:39 PM   #1
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Default transformer based phase splitter

I have this UTC O-6 which has primary 15K into 95K CT secondary. Is this an appropriate trans for phase splitting. If so what kind of tubes would be best suited for this ? I have mostly pentodes and beam pentodes, el84 to kt120 in terms of power output. I also have output trannys to match. Thank you for your suggestions. cheers, 808
Old 12th February 2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

The "iron" has a 1/2.5 step up ratio. Take that into account, when working the small signal circuitry out.

Drive the trafo from a low impedance source, for best performance. You may have to resistively load the secondary legs, in order to stop ringing.
Old 12th February 2018, 05:24 PM   #3
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

I just tested quite similar high impedance audio transformers and noticed that good frequency response require some amount of testing, impedance matching and testing again....
I could not get satisfactory results. Especially transient response was a mess with a lot of ringing.
Old 12th February 2018, 05:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Would it be better to have this between the input voltage amp tube then to 2 driver tubes then to the finals? I have no experience with this type of circuit and there seems to be little information about any schematics with this IT.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #5
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is how I did it. It sounded pretty good, but lots of ringing on square waves even with gNFB. By the time I increased the cap in the gNFB network to 7500pf the ringing had stopped, along with high frequency response. I gave up and ended up using a split load phase splitter instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25790897_10155785305716006_1226196334886724409_o.jpg (51.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 12:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
This is how I did it. It sounded pretty good, but lots of ringing on square waves even with gNFB. By the time I increased the cap in the gNFB network to 7500pf the ringing had stopped, along with high frequency response. I gave up and ended up using a split load phase splitter instead.
thanks for the schematic. What kind of IT did you use?
Old 13th February 2018, 12:31 AM   #7
danFrank is offline danFrank  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Why? Make it simpler and put the bias voltage on the secondary CT. Remove the coupling caps to the power tubes. Remove both 100K resistors to power tube grids.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:43 AM   #8
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danFrank View Post
Why? Make it simpler and put the bias voltage on the secondary CT. Remove the coupling caps to the power tubes. Remove both 100K resistors to power tube grids.
Agree. That is the vintage technique that also allowed operating in to AB2 if the bias supply and IT secondary DCR suits.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:58 AM   #9
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I used Hammond 124B, and I biased it this way because I used individual bias controls for each tube since the OPT was a power toroidal. Using a single voltage for both tubes results in too much imbalance.

I was using one of these for biasing. Electron Tube Amp Negative Grid Bias Power Supply Adjustable 4channel for PP SE | eBay
Old 13th February 2018, 01:28 AM   #10
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

A cautionary note, we barely get away with putting O/P "iron" inside NFB loops. An interstage trafo inside a NFB loop can be problematic.

transformer based phase splitterHide this!Advertise here!