• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SC7 Phono pre amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> I'd like to try something that could use the 6SC7s...

Use the 6SC7!! I only simmed with 12AT7 because I do not have a SC7 model; and to some degree tubes is tubes.

(However I am uncomfortable with the results I got. I suspect SC7 is not as hot-rod as AT7; also my AT7 model may be hotter than reality.)

You need that many R and C in the NFB EQ to define RIAA well. Anything with fewer parts 'cheats'. One cheat is that cartridge loading, no longer fashionable (data not available). Another is like PR6, let the "50Hz" corner happen where the tubes run out of gain (so low NFB in an important part of the spectrum, and wide variation with tubes).

Also you do not use my 1V grid batts with real vacuum tubes; the model does not have real electron clouds so does not simulate what really happens for 22Meg Rg.

I can build a new mule from your sim, if I can assemble the caps... I'll need a new PS, as the PT I used for this PS won't have 250V B+...
A couple questions,,, First, eliminate the batteries and run 22M grid resistors to grd? 2nd,, whats the 1VAC in the bottom Left corner of the schem?

I think the 6SC7 may be a little hotter than 12AT7,,, its basically replacing a 12AX7 in a phono amp, correct? I'll try 10k loading the Shure first...
Thanks for the continued support, it may just work out!

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've confused you.

The preamp you have now.

There is a 120K+0.0027u network from pin 2 to pin 5.

Disconnect one end of that.

Build the 4-part network shown. Put it from pin 2 to pin 5.

In simulation this gives accurate RIAA.

Attachments

• GE-6SC7-preamp.gif
    GE-6SC7-preamp.gif
    62.8 KB · Views: 709
> I'd like to try something that could use the 6SC7s...

Use the 6SC7!! I only simmed with 12AT7 because I do not have a SC7 model; and to some degree tubes is tubes. ...
Code:
* ==============================================================
* 6SC7 Hi-mu twin triode
* Koren model (5 parameters): mean fit error 0.0418049mA
* Traced by Wayne Clay using Curve Captor v0.9.1 on 5/21/09
* from RCA data sheet (1940)
* 6SC7-RCA LTSpice model
* ==============================================================
.subckt 6SC7  P G K
    Bp  P K  I=
+ (0.01302262338m)*uramp(V(P,K)*ln(1.0+exp((7.848813146)+(7.848813146)*
+ (74.21318947)*V(G,K)/sqrt((7.786192876k)+(V(P,K))**2)))/(7.848813146))**(1.07495152)
    Cgk G K 2.4p ; 0.2p added (2.2p)
    Cpk P K 3.7p ; 0.7p added (3.0p)
    Cgp G P 2.7p ; 0.7p added (2.0p)
    d3  G K dx1
.model dx1 d(is=1n rs=2k cjo=1pf N=1.5 tt=1n)
.ends 6SC7

Getting closer,,, this network sounds right... Bass is back, not booming but full... highs are just right, not exaggerated as before...

Volume is not loud as originally, but its probably due to the added network and/or big coupling caps (10x original) that are still installed... I'll keep tweaking, but we seem to be on the right page now....

Attachments

• P9170010.JPG
    P9170010.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 337

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... Bass is back, not booming but full... highs are just right, not exaggerated as before... Volume is not loud....

Good. And there's only so much gain you can get from one 6SC7.

(Higher supply voltage *would* help some, because the NFB loop does not cover the whole amp. Gm of V1 is uncontrolled and will rise with I which will rise with B+. I don't know what "noise" you fear unless you are running out of B+ filtering, or have damp sockets that crackle with >100V across them.)

(An output FET would help slightly, by making V2's life easier.)

What you really want is a Test Rig. Stable audio sine source, reverse RIAA network, and decent AC voltmeter. Taking a frequency response is a BASIC audio skill. If you are sure the output cap does not leak DC, you can do it on a PC soundcard.

Filters are adequate, its very quiet,,, caps should be big enough to easily raise B+...

I'll study on the Test Rig,,, seems a reverse RIAA network can be built,,, I have a Ballentine ACV meter,,, should be just the thing for low ACV readings, as it works well for reading input signals...

Thanks for all your help/info,, guess I need to catch up on some BASICS...

Got the limited gain somewhat sorted... I have a Maggy 185, which I rebuilt, but retained the 7025 input stage, which was for the passive tone stack in the phono only console, and added VC pots to it... With this pre amp plugged in thru this extra stage, we get all the gain/volume you could want, and its still quiet... I didn't raise B+ in the pre yet...

I'll continue reading and try to understand the frequency tests you mentioned along with building the reverse RIAA network...

With your RIAA network added to this old phono amp design, I don't think anyone who built it would be disappointed... Can't imagine a simpler vintage circuit that gets the job done...

Got Traffic spinning right now,,, "Good old fashioned medicated goo"....

Kudos, PRR!

Last edited:
Wiring is done, its very quiet, and sounds good, with small amp and crap speakers!!! Fired up on first try,,, needs some permanent ground wires, and terminal for the TT... The cigar box case needs to be finished,,,

Thanks again to PRR for the RIAA sim and everyone else that offered help...

Attachments

• P9120278.JPG
    P9120278.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P9120277.JPG
    P9120277.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 116
  • P9120276.JPG
    P9120276.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 119
A couple pics of the finished (for now!) preamp,,, I reread the thread, and decided to try raising B+ as suggested... Seems 23-25VDC higher got a bit more volume and depth, and its still dead quiet,, so I'll leave it there until I try it with different amps, TTs and speakers...
Thanks again for the support with this project...

Attachments

• P9130283.JPG
    P9130283.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P9130280.JPG
    P9130280.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 58
  • P9130284.JPG
    P9130284.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.