Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Value of this tube ?
Value of this tube ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Value of this tube ?

Last edited by Flaxxer; 8th February 2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Thread turned negative
Old 5th February 2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ECC82/12AU7s vary in value from $1 to about $50 depending who you can con/scam!
Old 5th February 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
ECC82/12AU7s vary in value from $1 to about $50 depending who you can con/scam!
LOL .... Nice try. I couldn't remember what was special about them. These are not normal tubes, and difficult to find. I remember that much.
I was finally able to find how to search for the tube properly on Ebay. Found a Youtube video called: How to Spot Rare German 12AU7 Tubes featuring the RARE Siemens Silver Plate!
I finally found out my 1960's rare German made Siemens Silverplates go from $150 up on Ebay. Consensus seems to be, these are among the best sounding 12AU7s ever made. Was kind of hard finding that info. Took me all morning.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
LOL .... Nice try. I couldn't remember what was special about them. These are not normal tubes, and difficult to find. I remember that much.
I was finally able to find how to search for the tube properly on Ebay. Found a Youtube video called: How to Spot Rare German 12AU7 Tubes featuring the RARE Siemens Silver Plate!
I finally found out my 1960's rare German made Siemens Silverplates go from $150 up on Ebay. Consensus seems to be, these are among the best sounding 12AU7s ever made. Was kind of hard finding that info. Took me all morning.
Found out, it is that funny diagonal looking H thing, which is the identifier for this rare tube. That is what drives the price up.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:32 PM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Nice one, I better paint that on a few I have lying around.........not really
Old 5th February 2018, 06:51 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Value of this tube ?
They, the Mazda gray plate, and some Mullards are significantly more linear than the garden variety of 12AU7A. I believe RFT may have also made a good one based on some mysterious ones I had knocking around the place.

There are other common and comparatively inexpensive types that easily match or exceed their performance, but if you need a 12AU7A/ECC82 your choices are a bit constrained. A certain nameless company's Canadian division made nice ones too, and they are only quasi-moderately insanely priced.. LOL Some 5814 have proven to have merit as well.
Old 5th February 2018, 06:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Nice one, I better paint that on a few I have lying around.........not really
I hear that ! LOL
Truth is, I would NOT know if this tube sounds better than others to many people. I have not been able to test/hear the competition. What I do know, is this tube must be hard to get. Because I was just contacted, and sold my tube with dampening device for $150.
Old 5th February 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
ErikdeBest is offline ErikdeBest  Switzerland
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Value of this tube ?
..... Erik running to his stash to see if there are some of these in there...
Old 5th February 2018, 08:14 PM   #9
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

With this inflated tube prices, I'm glad I use 6N3/6N6 in most of my designs! excluding shipping I just picked up 54 new 6N3 tubes for 20 cents CAD a piece.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:39 PM   #10
aardvarkash10 is offline aardvarkash10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

another case of people hearing exactly what they spent...

Value of this tube ?Hide this!Advertise here!